Topic: electronic ignition for a '47 flathead

cdeac47    -- 10-17-2021 @ 7:39 AM
  I recently went down the electronic ignition road with my '47 Super Deluxe with a flathead and I am very unhappy with the results. I am going to install the original Ford distributor with new ignition parts installed tomorrow in hopes of getting the car running!

The unit I bought was the Stromberg e-fire setup. I followed the advice on the box and installed Stromberg wires and a Pertronix 1.5 ohm coil. The engine did run on the new ignition parts for about 5 miles then it stalled and it cranked but would not start. This morning I tried one last time to see if it would start and got a loud bang of a backfire and no start! My car still has the original 6 volt system and I have found out through this frustrating expensive process that these electronic ignitions don't perform very well with 6 volt systems and 12 volt systems are much better. These units are NOT plug and play like it says on the box. Needless to say this has been a frustrating and expensive experience.

I really have no desire to troubleshoot this and I just want a refund. Anybody else have a experience like me?

nelsb01    -- 10-17-2021 @ 8:05 AM
  Yes.
Back in 2014, I install Pertonix. Didnt get to my destination.
Thinking of that -- for 65 years prior to me installing electronic, whoever had the vehicle before me, the car ran fine. So, in very simple terms, why mess with something that works.
Ford didnt design their points and condenser setup to fail. Wear out maybe after time, but it is a proven setup that works.

For as good as electronics is, it works better in vehicles that were designed for it -- like your 2020 vehicle.

wmsteed    -- 10-17-2021 @ 10:42 AM
  I have used the Petronix Ignitor ignition on several vehicles for the past 25 years, have never had a problem.
I recently purchased a Petronix Ignitor system to put on my 59AB engine which has had a Harmon-Collins dual coil ignition for over fifty years.
I talked to Petronix and the experts at Speedway about this conversion before I pulled the trigger on the purchase. I purchased everything that was recommended by Speedway, including a new 7mm suppressive core cable set that was recommended.
In the next few weeks I will be ordering a Pertronix system for a '53 Olds 88 303 V8 I recently purchased.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

wmsteed    -- 10-17-2021 @ 10:48 AM
  The problem is not what Ford designed, the problem is that it is almost impossible to get good components for a point ignition..
If you try to purchase NOS ignition parts you are buying trouble because the age factor is against you.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

cdeac47    -- 10-18-2021 @ 12:43 PM
  I appreciate the responses. This FAILED electronic ignition installation was supposed to save time, aggravation and frustration. Instead it has done the complete opposite and not mention the costs and the ridiculous amounts time I have wasted in the endeavor.

I tend to agree with the common thoughts from others about this and that is 6 volt systems do not provide enough voltage for these electronic conversions to work properly. In many cases especially with the modern cars lack of voltage cause many electrical components to weird things and that efire distributor sure is acting wacky. We did check the battery and charging system and all was good!

So back to a stock setup I go. I found somebody to install the points and set dwell and next weekend I get to do the swap and all it entails next weekend.

stromberg e-fire with a 6 volt system = thumbs down!

This message was edited by cdeac47 on 10-18-21 @ 12:45 PM

mfirth    -- 10-18-2021 @ 2:02 PM
  There are plenty of places to get reliable points etc. I know 2 guys who used 6 volt neg ground Pertronics & they both failed. One of them was told Pertronics do not like generators & to go to a single wire alt.

supereal    -- 11-06-2021 @ 2:00 PM
  Many electronic distributors will not perform successfully over time. This is due, primarily, to the unregulated electrical systems in older vehicles, and most are heat sensitive. At our shop we have removed many of them and replaced with a properly fitted original unit. The stock Ford distributor is one of the most trouble free devices when set up and tested by machine, and can offer years of trouble free duty.

wmsteed    -- 11-07-2021 @ 12:23 PM
  I have used Petronix Ignitors on several vehicles that had generators... never had an issue.
On two vehicles that I had that were 6v, upon Petronix' advise we used their 12v Flame thrower coil, again no problems.
I just purchased a Petronix Ignitor II for my '53 Olds 303 V8. I purchased everything that Petronix recommended for the conversion including 7MM suppression wires.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15221