Topic: Speedometer Issue

Dream38v8    -- 10-12-2021 @ 7:54 AM
  Last year I posted a question regarding the bouncing speedometer needle in my '38. I was advised to lubricate the cable with liquid graphite. I did and this solved the bouncing needle issue until yesterday. Yesterday the needle quit working along with the odometer. Since the cable probably broke should I replace the gear along with the cable. Is there anyother issue I need to investigate? Anything else I should replace beside the cable and gear?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-12-2021 @ 8:43 AM
  dream38 v8
If you disconnect the cable on the back of speedometer,
and you pull on the inner cable and see if it comes out,
you can just replace the inner cable,make sure you lube it,
you might have to disconnect the cable from both ends,
it is NOT THAT EASY to replace the drive gear,
it is on TOP of the drive shaft tube, hard to get at,
requires removal of the trans floor pan,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

kirkstad    -- 10-12-2021 @ 4:30 PM
  I had the same problem with my 36. I had a bouncing speedometer needle and my cable finally broke. when I was replacing the cable I noticed that I could not turn the speedometer by hand, but after a little lubrication I could spin it very easily. When you replace the cable, before you attach it to the speedometer, make sure you check to see if the speedometer turns freely, or it will put to much strain on the cable. My cable was not dry and the brake was just before it attaches to the speedometer.
Frank

Dream38v8    -- 10-13-2021 @ 12:39 PM
  I haven't had the time to pull the speedometer cable. I am going to make an assumption that the cable broke. I have located two sources for a new cable, but both cables are 70". According to the '38- '39 book the cable is approximately 65.92". Both sources include 17260 in their part number. According to the book the part number is 78-17260. So my question is will the additional length of the aftermarket cable be an issue? I will not order until I have been able to remove the old. What else should I order (firewall groment, bracket)?

Thanks

Ray

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15210