Topic: Spark plug wire loom

oatycorb    -- 10-04-2021 @ 5:14 PM
  Hello everyone! I've installed my rebuilt 59ab engine back into my '37. I've installed a 6 volt Pertronix electronic ignition into the stock distributor and am going to run a set of 7 mm low ohm suppression core spark plug wires designed to work with the ignition. I'd planned on running the wires thru the original 59ab metal plug wire looms but someone recently told me you can't run suppression core wires thru these metal looms because the wires will short out in the looms. I've never heard of this before but since I'm relatively new to the whole flathead scene I thought I'd run this past you more experienced guys to find out if this is a valid issue or if I got some inaccurate information. My plug wires are high quality pieces from the Brillman company. Thanks for any advice!!

carcrazy    -- 10-04-2021 @ 8:04 PM
  Why not just have the original distributor rebuilt, installed and use the original type of solid metal core wires in the original conduits? In my experience, the resistance type of ignition wires are trouble waiting to happen when you least expect it.

oatycorb    -- 10-05-2021 @ 6:33 AM
  My distributor is rebuilt, I just liked the idea of using an electronic ignition so I don't have to mess with points anymore, and you can't use solid core wires with the Pertronix ignition. I may end up going back to the points set up but I wanted to try the electronic ignition first, if for no other reason because I've already bought all the components to do so. I've talked to some guys who had issues with this ignition and others who have run this set up for years with no problems. Just recently someone mentioned to me that running these wires thru the original metal plug wire looms will cause the wires to short out, just inquiring as to whether this is a legitimate problem.

trjford8    -- 10-05-2021 @ 7:26 AM
  Instead of using the stock metal tubes why not get some universal wire holders that will bolt to the intake manifold and are insulated for the new wires.

carcrazy    -- 10-05-2021 @ 8:25 AM
  Once the original dual point distributor is set up properly, you won't have to worry about the points for a long time - over 10K miles. If you drive the car on long trips, carry a spare distributor that has been properly rebuilt and is totally ready for installation in the trunk.

oatycorb    -- 10-05-2021 @ 4:31 PM
  I just like the look of the original wire looms, no more to it than that really. If they're going to cause problems I just won't use them. Just didn't know if anybody running an electronic ignition had run into this issue.

RICKS2L    -- 10-06-2021 @ 3:04 PM
  Nobody has seemed to answer your question. The suppression wires will work just fine in the wire looms. Suppression wires do not bleed through like the solid core wires. What you are doing is great.

oatycorb    -- 10-07-2021 @ 5:10 AM
  Thank you Rick!!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15189