Topic: steering gear

logan238    -- 10-04-2021 @ 7:11 AM
  I have a 37 motor in my 34 cabriolet. The book says to take out the gear go through the drivers side. Well, I couldn't even get the gear past the motor. Had to take it all apart to get it out. Do I need to raise the motor?

1931 Flamingo    -- 10-04-2021 @ 12:45 PM
  Of which gear are we speaking??
Paul in CT

coup    -- 10-05-2021 @ 6:13 PM
  I had to remove exhaust manafold

RAK402    -- 10-05-2021 @ 8:41 PM
  I had a professional rebuild the steering gearbox on my 1940 Ford.

I had planned to take it out from the top-he raised the front of the car, disconnected the spring, dropped the spring and axle down, and removed the gearbox with the steering shaft from the bottom. He said it was much easier that way.

I don't know if this applies to other years.

wmsteed    -- 10-06-2021 @ 9:39 AM
  Which ever way you attempt to remove the steering gear box on a EV8F the steering wheel has to be removed.
Taking the gear box out from the top requires removal of the exhaust manifold, seat and foot board.
Bottom removal requires the removal of the steering wheel. jacking the car up, disconnecting the spring U-bolts,pitman arm, shocks, removing the wheels and lowering the axle assembly down with the spring still attached to the axle assembly, the gear box should come out very easy.
The wheels could be left on, however, their removal would minimize how high you have to jack the car up.
Of course jack stands should be placed under the frame for safety support.
Of course if a person has a twin post hoist the whole process would be much easier.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

logan238    -- 10-06-2021 @ 3:38 PM
  thanks for all your replys. My problem was getting the secter out of the hole with the motor still in. I was thinking I'll have to remove the exhaust manifold and maybe I can swing it out then. I'll have to wait for Steer and Gear to rebuild it ,then I'll try and get it in.

logan238    -- 10-06-2021 @ 3:38 PM
  the whole steering gear.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15188