Topic: 1937 sedan all headlight beams quit

bradshari@aol.com    -- 09-22-2021 @ 5:11 PM
  Hi. I am a new member. I just bought a 1937 model 78. I love it. It is an older restoration. My driver low beam was out. I wiggled the wires where the headlight harness plugs into the headlight bucket harness and it came on. So I pulled it apart and plugged it in firmer. A male to female connector. Worked for a while. I had the lights on using the steering wheel switch and all of a sudden both lights went out. To include both high beams. The dash gauge lights now don’t work either. The pillar lights now don’t work either. I can not find any fuse box. Just a couple of in-line fuses here and there. It is a 6 volt. Before I fiddled with those drivers side wires all these worked to include the steering wheel switch. The horn still works. Sorry this is so long. Any thoughts? Thank you. Brad near Rochester NY

nelsb01    -- 09-22-2021 @ 5:45 PM
  Look under the dash, left of the cowl vent, there should be a fuse in the resistor.
I know back in the day when that fuse went on my 1937 Ford 60hp, all lights quit.

3w2    -- 09-22-2021 @ 7:41 PM
  I'm sure that you meant to write "next to the resistor", not in the resistor.

ford38v8    -- 09-22-2021 @ 10:47 PM
  That single fuse serves all lights on the car. No other fuse was used unless the car has a radio, which will have an inline fuse. The light fuse is mounted on a fiber board next to the resistor, which, by the way, you never want to touch while the engine is running! look for it high on the firewall above the steering column. Take it with you to any auto supply store to match a replacement, as I remember, a 20 amp. Yes, that resistor gets hot.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 9-22-21 @ 10:49 PM

feufeu    -- 09-23-2021 @ 5:46 AM
  Hi guys,
Brad, i have too a tudor 37 85 HP.
you'll find under the wiring diagram for the 1937 models.
hope it will help.
Feufeu from France.

This message was edited by feufeu on 9-23-21 @ 5:47 AM

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-23-2021 @ 7:44 AM

This message was edited by 1937sedandelivery on 9-23-21 @ 8:32 AM

bradshari@aol.com    -- 09-23-2021 @ 6:47 PM
  Thank you ! I found that fuse. I didn’t even know it existed. I pulled it out. It looks spent. Intact but all gr eyed out looking. I will go to NAPA tomorrow for a new one. I wonder what I shorted. I do have some dead end wires here and there that I have no idea what they went to in the old days. I really appreciate your help.

bradshari@aol.com    -- 09-23-2021 @ 6:58 PM
  Also , thank you for the wiring diagram and the picture of the resistor and the warning not to touch it. I think I better disconnect the battery ground when I am not with the car so it doesn’t catch on fire and burn the house down! I tried one of those battery switch lever devices for one day . With it closed I didn’t have enough energy to start the car. Besides those occasional amputated wires here and there the wires behind the dash look like a rats nest. It has add on turn signals and gauges.

alexthecarguy    -- 09-23-2021 @ 9:08 PM
  Have you managed to solve the problem?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-24-2021 @ 6:37 AM
  hi
is it possible to post a few photos, of what you are dealing with,?
if the wires have been nibbled on ,[ RAT'S NEST ] it would be best to replace the wiring, for a safe ride,
and reliable ride,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 9-24-21 @ 6:55 AM

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 09-24-2021 @ 7:02 AM
  You might consider purchasing The Ford V8 Clubs 1937 Ford Book. It does not answer every question but it will help under stand your car. See attached.

JM    -- 09-24-2021 @ 8:03 AM
  Also, before you plug in that new fuse...you need to find that short and fix that, otherwise you'll blow any fuse you plug in that fuse holder.

John

bradshari@aol.com    -- 09-24-2021 @ 9:39 PM
  Hi everybody. You solved my problem! I taped the end of a dead end wire in that area and replaced the 20 amp fuse and all the lights work! I have to try to figure out what those various open ended wires were/are for. They come out of the various harnesses that are in those cloth conduits and it is hard to say where they even originate. That rats nest under the dash is just a jumbled mess of wires from the add on turn signals and fog lights and 2 gauges that the previous owner wired. Also a toggle switch for the speedometer and other original gauge cluster instead of the original switch on the dash under the radio. I never knew turn signals had so many wires. I did buy the 1937 book. It is really fun to study it and then go out into the garage and check my car. The car is pretty original. You folks are great! Thank you for you time and expertise! Brad. I am going to post another problem now. 2 Nd gear problem.

feufeu    -- 09-25-2021 @ 3:29 PM
  Hi men,
an other diag that, i hope, will help you!
My advice if the wires are original, replace them if you on't want to burn the car...
a picture to illustrate ...

trjford8    -- 09-28-2021 @ 6:15 AM
  Sounds like a complete new wire harness is in order for your car. It's cheap insurance.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15168