Topic: My engine will not crank (1935 Ford sedan).

cwmcclelland    -- 09-01-2021 @ 4:06 AM
  The engine in my 1935 Ford sedan will not crank. The battery is not dead and the cables are not corroded. And the starter and floor starter button are new. The ammeter shows a slight voltage draw when I press the starter button, but there is no click. What am I missing?

1931 Flamingo    -- 09-01-2021 @ 4:47 AM
  Is this a new problem?? When was the last time it started??

Try placing it in 3rd gear and rock it back and forth vigorously. The Bendix on the starter may be locked up.
Paul in CT

cwmcclelland    -- 09-01-2021 @ 4:55 AM
  Thanks for your response. I last started the car about a week ago. I then installed a new starter floor button, but that didn't make any difference.

I did put it into gear and rocked the car yesterday. However, I'll do that again as you suggest, this time in third gear.

Best wishes,
C. McClell.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-01-2021 @ 8:03 AM
  Try jumping around the switch, unfortunately new doesn't always mean good.

Charlie Stephens

cwmcclelland    -- 09-01-2021 @ 9:19 AM
  Thank you. I will try circumventing the switch as well. I will let you know what finally "works."

Mr51Ford    -- 09-01-2021 @ 5:53 PM
  How did it go? I'm having this problem with my '51 Ford right now.

Mr51Ford    -- 09-01-2021 @ 6:06 PM
  "Try placing it in 3rd gear and rock it back and forth vigorously. The Bendix on the starter may be locked up.
Paul in CT"

Rock what back and forth, the whole car? Do I need people outside to rock the car from the bumpers while I simultaneously sit in the car and try to start it in third? I drive a '51 that's not cranking or starting right now, and I'm not sure if it's the battery, or an electrical issue or something else. Previously my car had a problem with the voltage regulator, but that was fixed.

1931 Flamingo    -- 09-02-2021 @ 7:19 AM
  Just put it in 3rd gear and rock it back and forth, a second set of hands rocking would probably be beneficial. IF the bendix is locked up this should free it up.
Paul in CT

TomO    -- 09-02-2021 @ 7:40 AM
  Mr51Fotd, I know that you are new to the Forum, so take this as advice, not a reprimand. When you have a problem, it is better to start your own topic. The 1935 Ford has a floor starter switch that mechanically connects the battery to the starter. The 51 Ford has a solenoid that is activated by the ignition switch, so the action plans to isolate the problem would be different. Please start a new topic and give us your symptoms and what you have tried.

The rocking the car solution that 1931 Flamingo suggested is used when the starter bendix gear is locked to the flywheel. When this is the case, you can hear a short clunk from the starter, but the engine does not turn over. To free the bendix gear, you put the transmission in 3rd gear and try to push the car backwards by pushing and releasing. When the gear releases from the flywheel, you will hear a big bang and the car will move backward. It usually takes 2 or more people to rock the car. If you can push the car backward, while the transmission is in 3rd gear, you should see the motor turn if the gear is not locked to the flywheel.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 9-2-21 @ 7:43 AM

cwmcclelland    -- 09-02-2021 @ 8:45 AM
  Glory be...! I got out my long crow bar and wedged it under my right rear tire, after put it in third gear. Then I vigorously rocked the car back and forth, and heard a "click." I got into the car, it turned over and started right away! Wow!

Mr Rogers    -- 09-02-2021 @ 12:51 PM
  Luv it when a plan comes together!!!
Thanks for sharing the results.

TomO    -- 09-03-2021 @ 8:16 AM
  Glad that you were able to free up the engine. Getting the engine to turn backwards usually works best. This is done by pushing the car backwards, while the transmission is in 3rd gear.

If you have a 24 stud engine in your car, the starter should have a bracket that goes from the starter bolt to a bolt on the oil pan to prevent this problem. On a 21 stud engine, make sure that the starter bolts are tight.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15120