Topic: Wiper motor vacuum leak

Art    -- 08-27-2021 @ 10:04 AM
  Hello, My stock 1939 V/8 started running a bit rough at idle,but runs great at all other speeds and accelerates well.I am using a new carb from Dennis Carpenter and adjusting idle mixture settings does not help very well. I have checked intake manifold for leaks, but everything seems okay. Could a leak at the wiper vacuum hose affect only idle and not general performance? Engine starts up and runs great!

carcrazy    -- 08-27-2021 @ 11:56 AM
  You can determine if the wiper motor is leaking by removing the hose that feeds it from the intake manifold and putting a vacuum cap on the tube. This will eliminate the wiper motor and its supply hose from the system. You can then reset the idle speed and fuel mixtures to optimize idle. If after doing this the engine runs properly at all speeds, you know where the problem is located.

zeke3    -- 08-27-2021 @ 12:03 PM
  A small vacuum leak may be more noticeable at idle than at higher engine speeds. Remove the vacuum hose for the wipers from the connection at the intake manifold and plug the port to see if there is an improvement. A vacuum gauge may also be helpful for analyzing the engine, what the vacuum level is and whether it is steady or not.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-28-2021 @ 10:28 AM
  hi
if the engine idles rough,
disconnect the vacuum hose and cap it off,so wiper motor is disconnected from intake vacuum supply
if it runs smooth and you can adjust the carb, you can then check the rubber hose for leaks, if it is old replace it,
usually wiper motors do not leak vacuum, not unless they are cracked, or loose screws,
but if it still runs rough,
try removing one spark plug wire at a time, using a insulated plyiers,
if one of them does not make a difference, pull the plugs and take a compression test,
you might have s stuck valve,
to adjust the carb, correctlly , ALL your cylinders have to be with in specs,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman LETS HEAR HOW YOU MADE OUT,~~~

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 8-29-21 @ 3:12 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15111