Topic: 1947 Ford Car brakes

Jason Boshers    -- 07-06-2010 @ 6:28 PM
  The hubs are stuck on. I have made the two adjustments to retract the pads. I have been looking in the V8 Times at the K.R. Wilson hub puller from Winfield Tool Works and I was wondering if it was what I needed or if another tool or method was available. I was also wondering what size threads the K. R. Wilson hub puller uses.

Thanks,
Jason Boshers

Johns46coupe    -- 07-06-2010 @ 7:51 PM
  Jason, If you're talking about the rear hubs/drums, you absolutely need a puller. The hub goes on over a keyed taper and fits VERY tightly. I bought a puller to do the job after renting one. Mine is a old high quality puller made by Plomb that will fit pretty much any 5 stud hub. Not familiar with the K. R. Wilson puller but I do know there is a puller made specifically for these old Fords. Also, don't try one of the pullers with arms or fingers on them (not sure what they're called) as they can destroy your drum or hub. Also, beating on the drum or hub is not recommended as you can break or bend the drum/hub. Hope this helps.

John

Jason Boshers    -- 07-07-2010 @ 4:27 AM
  John,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I was referring to the rear hubs. None of the places I have checked have any kind of hub puller. They are always trying to sell me a steering wheel puller, which is the arm kind you are referring to.

Jason

kubes40    -- 07-07-2010 @ 6:13 AM
  In my opinion the KRW is the absolute best. No doubt others will do the job but a word of caution may be wise here... you want to apply the pulling pressure very near the area that is 'stuck'. A taper fit is one of the very strongest to overcome. Pulling from the wheel studs will in effect distort the drum and actually apply more pressure to the taper.
Winfield Tools advertises in the V8 Times. They sell the KRW puller. Well worth the investment.

48Tudor    -- 07-07-2010 @ 6:45 AM
  Check e-bay for this item. "180527633915", it is another style similar in function to the K&R and works very well. I like it as it will not slip off the hub snout and is gentle on the axle thread. When using, reverse a nut on the axle to protect the threads.

chr

supereal    -- 07-07-2010 @ 10:05 AM
  We have had a Winfield puller for many years, and it has never failed to pull a rear drum without damage. It has a protective collar that fits over the threaded end of the axle. You tighten it down, and if that doesn't release the hub, smack the end of the screw with a hammer. The puller is constructed to withstand it. The most difficult hub removal we had was when someone forgot to reinstall the clips that hold the brake shoes to the backing plates, allowing the shoes to cock and hold the drum fast. We did get it off, but spent most of a day working the drum off a tiny bit at a time. If there is one indispensable tool for old Fords, the Winfield puller is it.

Jason Boshers    -- 07-18-2010 @ 4:45 PM
  Thanks for all the advice. I called Winfield Tools on Monday and had it on the door step on Wednesday. In less than 15 minutes after opening the box both rear hubs were off.
It is the best and only tool for the job.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1511