Topic: Reviving 1948 Mercury from LONG storage

Walletectomy    -- 08-23-2021 @ 12:28 PM
  I have a 1948 Mercury coupe that I’ve owned since buying from the original owner in June 1973. Drove it all through high school and college and until I departed for a 28 year military career. In 1993 I stripped off the body, (of the frame) took it to bare metal and had professional shop repaint it. Also installed a new wire harness from front to back. Then a series of 6 moves and multiple deployments, and kids upbringing and college and work and ……., and it has essentially sat from about 2002 until now. Run a few times, and last run when parked in a family metal barn on concrete floor. Now as I stare Medicare in the eyes it’s time to resurrect the beast. My first question is about the gas tank. There were 3-4 gallons in it when it was driven into the shed in 2011. How should I proceed here, do I drop the tank to clean it or just drain it if it’s still fluid and put in fresh gas. Engine is free, and only has about 500 miles on a complete rebuild, to include balancing the engine and flywheel and doing deck heights and align boring. It ran smoother than it ever did stock. More questions to follow I’m sure. I need to fix multiple things including a complete interior upholstery.

fsacht    -- 08-23-2021 @ 3:33 PM
  There is a drain plug in the tank bottom surface. I'd remove that plug and see what come out. Also remove the sending unit from the tank and look inside with a good light and see the insides. Mark the location of the sending unit relative to the sender opening so you'll know where to locate it when replacing. Then decide whether the tank needs help.

woodiewagon46    -- 08-23-2021 @ 4:18 PM
  As to your "first question", I would pull the tank and have it professionally cleaned. I would also replace all the gas lines from the tank to the carb. I hope your second question is going to be what you should do about your brakes.

mfirth    -- 08-24-2021 @ 4:16 AM
  x 2 on what has already been said, and, THANK YOU for your service !! That is a very nice looking car. There's something about a Mercury....
Get it going and be sure you can "stop" it.

TomO    -- 08-24-2021 @ 6:53 AM
  Very nice Mercury. I hope that you get it running and bring it to some of the National Meets.

I would do as Woodiewagon46 suggested, but I would also add: have the tank interior coated with an alcohol resistant coating. If the tank had fuel with Ethanol, the tern coating on the inside is probably gone and the tank will rust through if you do not coat it.

I would also plan on rebuilding or replacing the master and wheel cylinders. They have probably rusted if you did not have DOT5 (silicone) brake fluid in the system.

I also suggest that you update your profile with your location and enable private messages and notifications of private messages, if you haven't already done so.You can update your profile by clicking on PREFERENCES on the Forum Home page.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 8-25-21 @ 6:52 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 08-24-2021 @ 10:09 AM
  To add to with Tom is suggesting, I would also replace all the brake lines. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb water. Being your car has sat since 2002, you don't want one of the brake lines bursting thru from rust the first time you need to do a panic stop.

Walletectomy    -- 08-26-2021 @ 12:12 PM
  All the brake lines, brake master cylinder and wheel cylinders and shoes were replaced in 2005 and I used Dot 5 silicone fluid.

Walletectomy    -- 09-03-2021 @ 11:08 AM
  Is the drain plug a pipe thread? I tried a wrench on it but it’s firmly in there. I’ll try some penetrating oil on it next. But will probably need to use vice grip players on it.

I did siphon out about 4 gallons from the tank using an oil pump siphon that I use for my diesel pickup. The gas kind of smelled like paint thinner.

I may try using the electric fuel pump to scavenge the last little out.

TomO    -- 09-04-2021 @ 8:14 AM
  The drain plug is a pipe thread. I use a 12" crescent wrench to remove mine. Then I replace it with a brass one painted black. The brass one will not rust in place like the iron one. Vice grips may not give you enough leverage, I tried them the first time I tried to drain the tank back in 1976. The radiator shop got it out for me when they cleaned the tank.

The fuel that you drained out is bad.

I drain my tank after a few years of use and use Seafoam occasionally each year to keep water from collecting in the tank.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15097