Topic: Dual Exhaust on my new 1940 ford coupe

classiclover    -- 08-21-2021 @ 4:32 AM
  New member here, not sure if I should add dual exhaust to my new purchase. The car is completely stock, I know the mechanical/performance value, but does it depress the show value of the car. Thanks for any input

Classic Lover

sarahcecelia    -- 08-21-2021 @ 4:41 AM
  Yes!!, because it wouldn't be STOCK from the factory! The best thing that dual exhausts do, is let the motor breathe a little better- adding a little to gas mileage.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 8-22-21 @ 4:55 AM

classiclover    -- 08-21-2021 @ 5:32 AM
  Thanks Steve

kubes40    -- 08-21-2021 @ 5:37 AM
  Mechanical / performance value? Zero.

Breathe better? If the engine is stock, adding dual exhaust will not help the engine breathe better.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 8-21-21 @ 9:16 AM

TomO    -- 08-21-2021 @ 7:37 AM
  It is your car, so do what you want to do. I have dual exhaust on my Merc because I like the sound.

If you are going to show the car on the EFV-8 Concourse, you will have a point deduction for the dual exhaust. If you are going to show it in Touring Class the dual exhaust should not be a factor.

Tom

supereal    -- 08-21-2021 @ 8:50 AM
  Installing duals is a job for a shop where they have a very good pipe bender, as it snakes over the clutch mechanism. They can fit it and weld where required. They can also furnish the hangers necessary for the left side addition.

1931 Flamingo    -- 08-21-2021 @ 10:42 AM
  Red's headers has everything you'll need.
Paul in CT

sarahcecelia    -- 08-22-2021 @ 5:02 AM
  Kubes-
If the exhaust is less restricted, that's what I call breatheing better, And it's a proven fact that that will increase the fuel mileage a mile or two. Most all of the newer cars and trucks have dual exhausts; The factories aren't going to that extra expense for fun and games. Your comment (s) on this??

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 08-22-2021 @ 6:29 AM
  Steve,
Proper exhaust is designed around what is required by the engine. A stock flathead has plenty of breathing room with a stock exhaust system.
Do you truly believe that if the car got two more miles a gallon for a bit larger system, Ford wouldn't have done that simply for the advertising?
Many modern cars are pumping out a LOT more power than a flathead and as such, need better breathing capabilities. Again, it's all part of the requisite engineering.
Many new trucks and cars don't require dual exhaust but rather are installed for appearance.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

JayChicago    -- 08-22-2021 @ 12:24 PM
  "Many new trucks and cars don't require dual exhaust but rather are installed for appearance."

Some dual pipes you see under the bumper are actually a single system. Came thru a single cat and muffler up front.

kubes40    -- 08-22-2021 @ 3:46 PM
  JayChicago, Yep... you are correct, just single exhaust and split at the rear for appearance.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8    -- 08-22-2021 @ 11:44 PM
  Without doubt, the largest benefit of dual exhaust on a Flathead Ford is the rich tone of the exhaust note, to my ears second only to a Harley.

Alan

sarahcecelia    -- 08-23-2021 @ 3:36 AM
  It's a proven fact-When I was 18 I put duals w/headers on my 50 sedan, and my friend put duals on his 1951 ?Mercury- We both got 2 miles more per gallon. When an engine is hopped up the first thing they do is add duals and either 2 carbuetors or a 4 barrel- to make it breath better and get more gas in and exhaust out faster., because it breathes better and gets makes more power. Ford wasn't too concerned about mileage, because when I was 18 (1955) gas was 19.9 cents a gallon, and I made $40.00 a week!, so $3.00 would pretty much fill the tank, and last me a week! When I move to florida in 1972 gas was 26.9 cents a gallon!Now they are striving to improve power and mileage-what with fuel injection, and dual exhausts. They are surely not going to that extra cost for looks.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 08-23-2021 @ 3:43 AM
  Kubes- So if I understand what you are saying : "any restriction of the flow of the exhaust would not decrease its breathing!" That's like saying-If you hold one nostril of your nose closed, it would not restrict you breathing! Come on friend - That's crazy!

Regards, Steve Lee

mfirth    -- 08-23-2021 @ 4:56 AM
  If, i remember correctly, Ford put dual exhaust on 8BA"Police Interceptor"engines. Wasn't there a cast iron left side manifold for that application? Thought I read that in "The V8 Times" some years back ???? Or maybe I'm just nutz.........

Grant    -- 08-23-2021 @ 5:14 AM
  Above and beyond the lovely sound of dual exhaust installed on an early Ford V8, there is also the added feature of attractive appearance at the rear of the vehicle with the use of accessory exhaust pipe tips below the bumper.

Especially if you can locate a pair of cast aluminum XF-9 Jetstensions.

Touring Class only, of course.

According to an ad in the July 1953 issue of Motor Trend, their design employed "the best principles of aero-dynamics to add power and economy to your car".

Would there have been an increase in horsepower? And gas mileage?

Maybe. Or maybe not. But they do look nice.

Grant    -- 08-23-2021 @ 5:30 AM
  Trying again to post the advertisement ..........

kubes40    -- 08-23-2021 @ 7:04 AM
  Steve, if you understand correctly? Nope, not this time either. Did I ever suggest restricting flow?

I'm done. I should know better than to argue...never in the future will I make the same mistake.

I concede Steve. You are correct again. I am incorrect.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 8-23-21 @ 7:06 AM

TomO    -- 08-23-2021 @ 7:58 AM
  Steve, your statement "Ford wasn't too concerned about mileage, because when I was 18 (1955) gas was 19.9 cents a gallon, and I made $40.00 a week!, so $3.00 would pretty much fill the tank, and last me a week!" is incorrect. If Ford and the public were not concerned about gas mileage post WWII, why were there so many "Economy Runs" and why did Ford brag about their results in advertising. As a single man, living with your parents, $3.00 was not a big hit on your pocket book. The family man making $40. a week had to pay rent, buy food for his family and save for retirement, $3.00 was ab big deal.

Gas today is much cheaper than it was in 1940 in real terms. The average factory worker worked a 48 hour week for about $.55 per hour. Gas was about $.20 a gallon. Today the average factory worker makes around $25.00 an hour and gas is about $3.60 a gallon. People are still concerned about mileage.

I also doubt that you got 2MPG more after installing duals. A well tuned engine is not that inefficient and standard mufflers do not give that much back pressure unless the muffler is plugged .

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-23-2021 @ 10:12 AM
  HI Guys
I am with STEVE on this one,
I have duals on my 37, and to me it has benefits,
soumds cool, I have mufflers with 1 baffle,and
headers. I believe my engine breathes better,
if duals do not breathe better, why do race cars have open pipes,?
if it had no benefits, they would have mufflers,
it has alot to do with the intake manifold. the air cleaners restrict the amount of air entering the engine,
if you use a stock air cleaner, you will see how it restricts the air flow,
if you had 3 2s or 2'2s carb set up, more air would come in , so more exhaust would go out, and need bigger pipes, or 2 pipes to relieve the back pressure,
better breathing engines go faster,and use less fuel, proven fact
why was the HEMI CYLINDER HEADS developed ? not only for CHRYSLER, but many many car makers use this design on their engines,cross flow ARDUN did this for the FORD flatheads
this is my 2 cents, 37RAGTOPMAN Drive your V8, its FUN,

kubes40    -- 08-23-2021 @ 12:39 PM
  My gosh ... a couple of you guys are making NO sense. Comparing a stock flathead to anything BUT a stock flathead of the same year and "build" is simply apples vs. oranges. Comparing the breathing requirements of a stock flathead to a race car is completely goofy for lack of a less offensive but accurate word.

An engine, no matter what engine, can only utilize so much "breathing' capacity.

37ragtop and Steve... methinks you two guys should be, if you are not, very good friends.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8    -- 08-23-2021 @ 2:19 PM
  I think the question is a no brainer. Of course any breathing restriction will cost some horsepower, which translates to poor gas mileage, however, a stock flathead with single exhaust and stock air cleaner breathes well enough that a conversion to dual exhaust with no other modifications likely will not provide any measurable benefit in gas mileage.
A claim of gaining 2 miles per gallon with dual exhaust falls in the category of telling your wife you'll save money in the long run if you install duals.

Alan

Big Red 51    -- 08-26-2021 @ 3:48 AM
  Classiclover
If you want to show your classic at an Early Ford V8 Judging event and not loose points for duals, get a 1952 or 1953 V8, the first year duals are correct, when the 1953 was built for performing as an Indy Pace Car. The 1952 was then available also with correct duals.
Don

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15093