Topic: Do ring and pinion need to be matched

MOXIE    -- 07-06-2010 @ 2:59 PM
  How critical is it that the ring and pinion gear match. The ring gear from this set of 38 gears I have is damaged by who ever removed the bearing. The pinion is in great shpae. Can I use the ring gear from another rear end with this pinion or will it make noise. If they need to match, can machine shops do this.

42wagon    -- 07-06-2010 @ 4:10 PM
  When these gears were first manufactured they were designed to be interchangable. Unfortunately you will probably find that if the proposed replacement gear has been run for 70 plus years it probably has some built in wear that makes it unique. But if you are using a replacement ring gear why not use the matching pinion as well?

As to whether a machine shop could make the gears match the answer is probably not. They were cut on specialized gear cutting machines and then hardened and ground. It would take a very special machine shop to fine tune an existing gear.

However you don't say what the nature of the damage to your gear is. Possibly a machine shop could restore the bearing race if that is where the damage is.

I still think your best bet is to find a replacement ring gear and matching pinion.
Ted

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-06-2010 @ 4:21 PM
  you could try lapping the gears and check with PRUSSIAN BLUE, to see how they match up,
But you best bet is to use new gears, not unless you like to work,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,

ford38v8    -- 07-06-2010 @ 7:38 PM
  Moxie, I've never heard of anyone's experience with a mix & match set of ring/pinion gears, but if old Henry felt it was important to put out matched sets with corresponding numbers (and he did), I'd think it was important also. The amount of labor involved in replacing a set just does not warrant the experiment in my book.

Alan

supereal    -- 07-07-2010 @ 10:17 AM
  Ring and pinion gears were "run in" on a machine at the factory, and sequentially numbered. If they are mismatched, you will likely have a howling noise from the axle as a result. Many, if not all, replacement gear sets are now made overseas, and they also tend to be noisy. Anytime a rear end has damaged gears, it is almost certain other parts were also affected. The best advice is to try to locate a complete rear axle assembly. They are out there, as street rodders remove them. Getting them shipped can be pricey, however.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1509