Topic: NV license plate for '36?

Flatbob    -- 07-06-2010 @ 1:50 PM
  Does anyone know where I can go to find out what a 1936 Nevada license plate should look like for a passenger car? I see one for sale but has the letter "T" preceding the numerals & am wondering if this was for trucks. Nevada used to label their plates by counties & numerals, none of the Nevada counties begin with a "T."

supereal    -- 07-06-2010 @ 2:21 PM
  Here, in Iowa, we finally got the DMV to allow "year of manufacture" plates, if we carried the "real" plates in the car,too. It took a special act of the legislature, as current law allows all numerals only on "official" vehicles such as police, fire, etc, and our old plates have no letters. It would be a good idea to check your state laws regarding such plates before you spend any money to obtain or restore plates. I'd ask your DMV regarding your question. We are fortunate to have a DMV in our county that is very helpful, but not all are so lucky.

Norm    -- 07-06-2010 @ 6:17 PM
  Same deal here in Maine - if you carry "real" antique plates in the vehicle you can use year of manufacture plates on the vehicle. And, unlike some other states (like Massachusetts) you don't have to clear the number to be sure it's not being used on a current plate. I guess they actually believe people can tell a 1936 plate from a 2010 one.

Norm

trjford8    -- 07-06-2010 @ 6:30 PM
  Bob, if you are a club member you can use your roster and call some of the members in Nevada. They can probably answer your question.

deluxe40    -- 07-06-2010 @ 7:33 PM
  Here is a web site that shows what a generic '36 passenger car license plate looks like:

http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/jpglps/USA_NV_GI3_1930's.jpg

42wagon    -- 07-07-2010 @ 3:20 AM
  Connecticut also is a state that allows you to use "year of manufacture" license plates provided you keep your current registration and plates in the car for inspection by the cops. There is no check to see if the number is currently in use although they may want to see the plates you intend to use. They are supposed to ask but didn't in my case.

BTW if you want to see a real comedy act, go to a CT DMV office and ask for the form needed to use the YOM plates. Its the only form not available on the internet and most DMV clerks have no idea what it is or where copies are kept.

Flatbob    -- 07-07-2010 @ 3:08 PM
  Thanks everyone for responding; I can tell you that the DMV here in Las Vegas is't very helpful at all when it comes to vintage car licensing & registration. Anyway, bought the plate & I'll try to find out if it was used for a passenger car.

Suicide Doors    -- 07-07-2010 @ 5:05 PM
  Good luck with that. Having the vintage plates on the car just adds a class touch to it, imo.

Texas allows the use of year of manufacture plates, but does it a little differently. You register the vehicle with current plates, then apply to replace them with YOM plates. The state issues a 2 x 2 metal tab with the registration # on it, as well as the date of expiration - 5 years, btw. On renewal, I just get a new sticker. The tab attaches behind the YOM plate, no worries.

trjford8    -- 07-07-2010 @ 8:21 PM
  That's the same way that California does it. The trouble with California is finding someone in the DMV who knows how to complete the paperwork. They are too busy issuing driver's licenses to people who don't speak english.

lightflyer1    -- 07-08-2010 @ 8:12 AM
  I registered both my '35 and '54 with YOM plates without having standard plates first. Just went in and filled the paperwork out, showed the plates and it was done. Good for 5 years at $50. No carrying around other useless plates either. No inspection and no registration stickers in the windshield either. Nice!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1508