Topic: Horn wiring circuit - 36 pickup

CDemarest    -- 07-22-2021 @ 9:21 AM
  I really appreciate the help that I've gotten from the folks on this forum over the years! Now I have a question regarding the wiring for the horn on my '36 pickup. The wiring diagram shows a yellow wire running from the hot terminal on the starter switch to the horn and them a blue/yellow wire running from the horn to the horn button through the rotary switch at the lower end of the steering column. I only have one wire coming out of my horn. I've connected it to the blue wire with yellow stripe that goes to the center connection in the rotary switch but the button doesn't sound the horn. If I jump the wire coming out of the horn to the hot terminal on starter switch (positive terminal on the 6-volt battery), the horn sounds. Any suggestions? Do I have the wrong horn for my vehicle? Should there be another wire coming out of the horn? Thanks.

Charlie Demarest

40 Coupe    -- 07-22-2021 @ 11:01 AM
  Do you know who made your horn and the model #. For the car it is stamped into the side of the bell shaped top cover . Such as Sparton CL6. The horn should have two wires. I do not believe you have the correct horn. I am not sure what Mfg and model should be on a Commercial vehicle. It may be best to contact Don Rogers for that info.

CDemarest    -- 07-22-2021 @ 12:58 PM
  Thanks for the input. I don’t see anything stamped inside the top cover or anywhere else on the horn. I purchased it many years ago and I don’t have any record of where I purchased it.

Don Rogers    -- 07-23-2021 @ 7:43 PM
  You should have 2 wires connected to your horn terminals as shown in the attached photo. The horn wire should go thru the hole in the mounting bolt and connect to the matching wires in the light/horn harness.

Mr Rogers    -- 07-23-2021 @ 8:46 PM
  Grounded????

40 Coupe    -- 07-24-2021 @ 4:42 AM
  Originally the 36 Fords were + ground. If you jumper the battery - to the horn and it sounds the horn is grounded + through the mounting, and only uses one wire to the horn. As pointed out by Don above, the Ford horn is not grounded through the mounting and uses two wires. Don has also posted a photo of the internals of the typical horn and the wire connection points.

TomO    -- 07-24-2021 @ 8:26 AM
  You have an incorrect horn. It is made for a later model with a horn relay.

The yellow wire supplies the voltage to the horn and the blue with yellow tracer supplies the ground through the horn button.

To wire it for a horn relay, you would connect the yellow wire from the horn to the H terminal of the relay, the yellow wire from the wiring harness to the B terminal of the relay and the blue with yellow tracer wire from the harness to the S terminal of the relay. You must be sure that the horn is grounded for this to work. This would probably result in a point deduction if you have the Pickup judged.

Here is a link to a relay with the terminals marked as I described in the hook up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/150767019871

Tom

CDemarest    -- 07-24-2021 @ 12:02 PM
  Thanks to all. I had a suspicion that my horn wasn’t correct for my truck. I must have been given a bum steer many years ago when I bought it used. I’m going to wire it up with a relay as Tom described and keep my eyes open for the correct horn.

juergen    -- 07-30-2021 @ 8:04 AM
  You have an incorrect horn "motor". Look for a two wire motor and replace the one wire motor. Ford went to a one wire with relay in 1938.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15007