Topic: Brake situation

srg    -- 07-16-2021 @ 2:47 PM
  1937 Ford Fordor. Mechanical brakes changed to hydraulic. Problem: Brake shoes are tightening on all four wheels as I use the brakes, without returning to free spinning. Backed off the shoes with the star adjusters, drove around a little bit and wha-la! It's tightening again. Can't hardly rotate the wheels. You can imagine what this is doing to my brake pads and clutch.
The master brake cylinder and reservoir is mounted under the frame right in the center of the car. Don't know the brand.
Can the star hubs self adjust tighter on their own, or is there a pressure relief valve in the master cylinder that is sticking?
Any help would be appreciated.

cub 45    -- 07-16-2021 @ 3:25 PM
  Is your master cyl for disc brakes it may not be allowing the fluid to back off to release the shoes. Had that problem on a 65 Harley drum brake that someone rebuild master cyl and used disc brake kit.

kurt

woodiewagon46    -- 07-16-2021 @ 3:48 PM
  Are there other components such as residual valves in the system? There is no way all four star adjusters can tighten themselves on their own. It sounds like what cub 45 is suggesting. If you crack a brake line at the master and relieve the pressure, do the drums turn? Just thought of something, is the pushrod from the pedal into the master cylinder too tight?

This message was edited by woodiewagon46 on 7-16-21 @ 3:52 PM

51504bat    -- 07-16-2021 @ 4:15 PM
  Had the exact same problem on my '39 p/u. The PO had installed an off shore M/C when he redid the brakes before selling the truck. I replaced the M/C with a USA made Wagner one I got from Joe's Antique Auto and no more problem.

sarahcecelia    -- 07-16-2021 @ 5:53 PM
  You may have to adjust the push rod ( from the pedal to the master cylinder) if it has no free play it won't release the pressure, thus, your problem!

Regards, Steve Lee

srg    -- 07-22-2021 @ 9:33 PM
  I want to thank you guys for your input. The pin that comes out of the master cylinder had no looseness in it, it was so tight as to not allow the brake shoes to back off. It has a nut that tightens to the clevis that connects to the brake pedal. How it got tighter, I have no idea, but I'm going to look at my old car fix books to see if anything is mentioned. Any of you have a copy of Dyke's Automobile Encyclopedia? I was lucky to find one at Abe's books. 1943 edition. 1200 pages, everything from working on a Model T engine to building a Pratt and Whitney radial, or build your own shop. Worth it's weight in gold- literally.

sarahcecelia    -- 07-24-2021 @ 4:44 AM
  You only need to re-adjust the rod from the pedal to the master cylinder to about 1/8th inch play. When it has NO PLAY IN IT, as I said before, it won't releive the pressure on the brake shoes.

Regards, Steve Lee

srg    -- 07-24-2021 @ 8:07 AM
  Thanks Steve, you were spot on with your analysis. The rod coming out of the master cylinder screws into a clevis that connects to the cars original mechanical linkage to the brake pedal. The nut that locked the rod to the clevis was tight, so I'm tracing the entire linkage to see where along the line , if any, it's making that rod tighter. Thanks again for your help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15000