Topic: Window chainels

silverchief    -- 07-11-2021 @ 9:51 AM
  Thinking about pulling the door panels off my 46 coupe to expose window channel mechanisms as a possible source of rattle when driving down a bumpy street.
Are they designed and attached so that is quite possible, or is that very unlikely so I should save lay time and trouble. The windows are a little stiff when cranking up and down but work fine.

Barney    -- 07-11-2021 @ 5:40 PM
  Mr. Silver
I ordered a set for all four doors on my '40. The fronts were not super easy to install, but certainly doable with a bit of patience. The rears have not arrived from Mac's after being ordered in March. I inquired 6 weeks ago, they claimed they'd be here end of June - still waiting.
Barney

51woodie    -- 07-12-2021 @ 8:02 AM
  I have had the door panels off my '46 Super Deluxe Coupe, to replace the gears in the vent window cranks. The hardest part for me, was getting the door and window crank handles off. There are pins that go through the handles and the shafts that they fit on. The escutcheons, which are spring loaded from behind, hide the pins, so you need to push the escutcheon in, hold it, then push the pin out, using a piece of heavy wire. (Macs or Carpenter sell the tools to do this job) The vent window crank is held on with a screw. There is, as I recall, a screw near the bottom corners of the panel that need to be removed. Remove the trim around the window opening. The panel is held in place by a number of springy clips that can be pried free using a thin stiff blade. Starting from the bottom, slide the blade under the panel, and move it sideways until you hit a clip. Gently pry out until the clip is free. Continue along the bottom, then progress up each side until all the clips are free. At this point, tip the panel out a bit to clear the shafts, then lift up to release the panel from the door.

silverchief    -- 07-14-2021 @ 11:38 AM
  I appreciate all the information guys, but my question remains unanswered.

M 46 coupe is in well above average condition. Nevertheless, are the window channels in my car likely to have loosened over the years and be the source of rattles, or is their design such that this is highly unlikely?

I don 't want to be removing the door panels if that is the case.

51woodie    -- 07-14-2021 @ 4:15 PM
  Can’t give an opinion on the design, but the windows in my ‘46 don’t rattle.

sarahcecelia    -- 07-16-2021 @ 5:55 PM
  Duh, thats C H A N N E L S, not chainels.

TomO    -- 07-17-2021 @ 7:52 AM
  To determine if the rattle is coming from the windows, fold a piece of cardboard and place it between the glass and the inside trim. If the rattle stops it is the glass. If the rattle is still there, check the adjustment of the door latch.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14993