Topic: Distributor rebuild

silverchief    -- 07-03-2010 @ 9:49 AM
  I want to send the distributor from my 49 to Skip for just a general going over. What do I need to be careful of when pulling it. I want to be sure I am able to install it correctly when I get it back.

supereal    -- 07-03-2010 @ 10:05 AM
  Bill: With the '49 and later distributors, turn the engine by hand until the rotor points at the number one plug wire position. Number one is the first cylinder on the front end of the passenger side. Release the clamp on the front of the head and, after disconnecting the vacuum line, wire to the coil, and removing the cap, simply lift the distributor up and out. When you receive the distributor, turn the rotor to the #1 position, and put it back in place. If, by some chance, the engine has been turned, revolve it until the timing mark on the crank balancer is even with the pointer, and the points are just beginning to open. Using a timing light, at idle speed, the mark, sometimes a raised dot. should line up with the pointer. Reconnect the vacuum line and watch to see that the advance moves as the engine speed increases. Be sure to retighten the distributor clamp when finished. It helps to put chalk on the timimg mark to make it easier to see.

silverchief    -- 07-04-2010 @ 11:10 AM
  Thanks Supereal,

Will print this info out.

Talked to Skip - he does not work on anything as recent as 49, distributor or coil. Principally I just want to check for a bare wire under the breaker plate. Probably don't even have to take it out for that.

supereal    -- 07-04-2010 @ 12:36 PM
  That distributor isn't complicated. The "pig tail" under the breaker plate does, occasionally, get a worn spot if it isn't kept away from the shaft, or simply fails from the movement of the plate. The point gap should be set at .014-.016.

danbook    -- 01-25-2011 @ 11:50 PM
  Hi I agree with supereal posting this:
"Bill: With the '49 and later distributors, turn the engine by hand until the rotor points at the number one plug wire position. Number one is the first cylinder on the front end of the passenger side. Release the clamp on the front of the head and, after disconnecting the vacuum line, wire to the coil, and removing the cap, simply lift the distributor up and out. When you receive the distributor, turn the rotor to the #1 position, and put it back in place. If, by some chance, the engine has been turned, revolve it until the timing mark on the crank balancer is even with the pointer, and the points are just beginning to open. Using a timing light, at idle speed, the mark, sometimes a raised dot. should line up with the pointer. Reconnect the vacuum line and watch to see that the advance moves as the engine speed increases. Be sure to retighten the distributor clamp when finished. It helps to put chalk on the timimg mark to make it easier to see."

you really need to check out some parts first and be sure to re tighten or screw all the parts that needed to be tighten.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1499