Topic: 1935 Steering column removal

vetcol    -- 07-02-2010 @ 5:30 PM
  Can anybody tell me how to remove the steering column out of my car?

trjford8    -- 07-02-2010 @ 6:30 PM
  Do you have an open car or a closed car? It makes a difference in the instructions. Also do you want to remove just the column or the entire steering gear with the column?

vetcol    -- 07-02-2010 @ 7:06 PM
  Closed car, 2 door sedan. Just the column

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-03-2010 @ 6:50 AM
  Are you painting the column,or need to do something else?
letting us know would help in exactly what you need to do?
37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN....!!!!!!!!

supereal    -- 07-03-2010 @ 8:24 AM
  With a closed car, you have to unbolt the steering box from the frame and, after releasing the column from the dash clamp, lower it to provide space to pull it off the box. Of course, you have to drop the switch from the bottom, and take off the steering wheel, as well. When you have it out, it is a very good idea to replace the bushing at the top with one of the bearings available from several vendors. It make steering much easier than the old rubber donuts.

depoebay    -- 09-20-2010 @ 10:28 AM
  On my '37 closed car I would like to remove the steering box to rebuild. Do I have to remove the steering wheel as well as the column to remove it?
Thanks, Mike

40 Coupe    -- 09-21-2010 @ 6:49 AM
  unless your column has been out before the column drop is attached to the bottom of the dash with two bolts, one of which does not have a head! You will have to grab the round head with vice grips or such to see if the bolt will be loose enought to come out.

40 Coupe    -- 09-21-2010 @ 7:11 AM
  37 is basically the same as 35. closed cars have a limited amount of space inside for the removal of the horn rod, so the box has to be lowered to gain additional space. Disconnect the battery, Get the front end of the car Jacked up on jack stands, Remove toe board, light switch mech on the bottom of the box, clip, spider, spring, electrical wiring to the ignition switch. get the drag link disconnected, unbolt the column drop from the dash, see posting above, loosen column clamp that is at the top of the box, unbolt the box from frame mount and lower box and column to the floor. remove the horn rod from inside the car without bending the rod! remove the steering wheel would be much easier with the proper wheel puller. finally remove the outter column and drop (key in the unlocked position) and now the box can be removed for rebuild.

flatheadfan    -- 09-21-2010 @ 2:47 PM
  vetcol-

I have a step-by-step instruction sheet with pictures. If interested give/send me(PM), your email address and I will forward.

Tom

Leonard    -- 09-23-2010 @ 12:15 PM
  I have a question for 40coupe. I am trying to remove a 34 steering column and steering sector. Is it the same as the 35? As you know, the steering sector gear shaft protrudes through the frame rails to the left. Also how do you remove the horn light switch spring connector at the very bottom of the shaft? Thank you.

40 Coupe    -- 09-24-2010 @ 2:37 PM
  Leonard: on the very bottom of the horn rod is a small "C" shaped clip (about 5/16 outer diameter and 1/4" inner) this clip has to be removed first. first push the light switch spider up into the spring slightly and at the same time slide the C clip out of it's slot. With the clip off the spider can be removed by sliding it off the rod and then the spring. the rod can now be pulled out of the top of the steering wheel. When you remove it note there is a very thin brass bushing between the rod and the top of the hole in the steering shaft. it is a split bushing only about 0.010" thick and is often too worn to reuse. The worm and the sector for the 34 with 15:1 steering ratio have different part numbers than the 15:1 ratio for the 35. I do not know the exact differences, but the part numbers would indicate the two years are not exchangeable.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 9-24-10 @ 2:48 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1498