Topic: Mechanical brake shudder

CDemarest    -- 07-05-2021 @ 6:33 PM
  I’ve been restoring a ‘36 pickup for many years and have finally gotten to the point where I can take it on the road. I’m using mechanical brakes and years ago I replaced all the pins, arms and bushings. I put in either NOS or rebuilt shoes but kept the original drums. Now, when the vehicle is moving and I apply strong pressure on the brake pedal, I get a strong shudder in the brakes. I’m thinking that my drums need to be turned. Should I be able to have any shop that does brake work do these for me or do I need to look for a place with experience with early Ford brakes? Thanks

This message was edited by CDemarest on 7-5-21 @ 6:34 PM

CharlieStephens    -- 07-05-2021 @ 6:45 PM
  I would go for a place with experience on the early Ford brakes. Add your general location to your post and maybe someone will have a recommendation.

Charlie Stephens.

CDemarest    -- 07-05-2021 @ 7:17 PM
  I’m in Greenville, PA, about 70 miles north of Pittsburgh and 80 miles east of Cleveland.

ford38v8    -- 07-05-2021 @ 7:33 PM
  As you have just now put it on the road, I’d take an educated guess that your shudder is merely surface rust in the drums, which will take care of itself in just a very few stops.

Alan

CDemarest    -- 07-05-2021 @ 7:40 PM
  Thanks, Alan. That would be great if it is just rust. I have experienced the shudder about ten times. I can try working the brakes a few more times to see if the situation improves. In the meantime, if anyone can recommend a good brake shop, I’d appreciate it.

Charlie Demarest

ford38v8    -- 07-05-2021 @ 9:26 PM
  Charlie, if those ten times were close together, then the shudder would not be rust. If over a period of a year or more, then that would have allowed rust to develop between drives. A drive around the block, with stops at each corner would polish off the rust.

Alan

CDemarest    -- 07-06-2021 @ 5:26 AM
  Thanks, Alan. Last Friday, 7/2/2021, was the fist time this truck has been driven in over 50 years so what I've experienced has happened in the past few days. The shudder is pretty loud and somewhat violent so I agree that it is probably more than just rust. I'm hoping to find a good shop to turn down the drums if there is still enough "meat" on them and tweak the shoes if that is a possibility. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie Demarest

This message was edited by CDemarest on 7-6-21 @ 5:49 AM

trjford8    -- 07-06-2021 @ 7:10 AM
  Use your V-8 Club roster and contact Dave Collette in Portersville, Pa. He may be able to help you. He has experience in restoring 35-36 cars.

doghair3    -- 07-06-2021 @ 7:49 AM
  Here's the guy you want to call. Just be prepared to pay.

https://www.jgrelining.com

1931 Flamingo    -- 07-07-2021 @ 7:34 AM
  You could try pulling the drums again and chamfor the leading and trailing edges of the shoes,also lube where the shoes slide on the backing plates. JMO
Paul in CT

TomO    -- 07-07-2021 @ 7:48 AM
  Charlie, pull your front drums and inspect them and the shoes for rust or uneven wear on both the drums and the shoes. If there is uneven wear on the shoes, you may be able to sand them to a profile that matches the drum.

If the wear looks even, check your linkage for binds and wear, then lubricate all of the pivot points.

If you still have the shudder, find a spot where you can lock up the wheels and then check the rubber on the surface to see if the shudder is caused by one or more wheels. Then check out the wheels that are giving you the shudder.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14979