Topic: Fan Shroud on 46 Super Deluxe

Normruss    -- 07-05-2021 @ 1:21 PM
  My wife inherited a 46 Super Deluxe with 59A engine. It does not have a fan shroud and it tends to heat up in stop and go driving. If you stay above 30mph, it runs 2/3 of normal. In top it goes to the top end of green. Does anyone know if it is supposed to have a shroud?

dean333    -- 07-05-2021 @ 9:23 PM
  Not your answer but I have a speedo for that car if you need one.

TIM CARLIG

42wagon    -- 07-06-2021 @ 3:37 AM
  A picture of what you have would be helpful. There are supposed to be sheet metal pieces on each side of the radiator to prevent air from going around it also a piece called an air dam over the top of the radiator under the hood to keep air from going over it.

1931 Flamingo    -- 07-06-2021 @ 6:11 AM
  No "shroud" per se. Most likely the radiator is not up to snuff.
Paul in CT

Normruss    -- 07-08-2021 @ 12:54 PM
  Thanks. It looks like the top dam is in place, but I don’t see anything on the sides. Please see attached pictures

51woodie    -- 07-08-2021 @ 5:31 PM
  I had a look at my stock '46 Super Deluxe Coupe, to take a few pics for you. There is a cover in front of the top of the rad, and there should be a molded strip that seals between the edge of the cover and the rad header. There is also a "pan" that bolts to the frame, just below and behind the rad, that also has a rubber molding that seals between the pan and the back side of lower header tank. I also noticed that you have a four blade fan, whereas I, for some reason, have a six blade fan. I looked in the "Green Bible" and the only six blades listed for 42-47 are for trucks. Somehow, the 4 blade was replaced with a 6 blade. I wonder if the 6 blade is why I never have an overheating problem.
I don't know how the image of the fan pic got reversed. The others seem okay.

This message was edited by 51woodie on 7-8-21 @ 5:36 PM

supereal    -- 07-09-2021 @ 7:43 AM
  The six blade fan is, as you say, for trucks. Some were installed in the hope of finding the solution to an overheating problem.
Others came from an engine swap with a salvage yard piece. The main objection to the six bladed type is the extra noise created. As I have mentioned before, the main cause of overheating is an old radiator. A layer of hard water deposits can lower the heat transfer drastically and, when combined with rust or other factors such as loose and flattened fins, the result is the overheating that gets worse as time passes, interfering with driving the car. At one time, there were shops that claimed to "restore" old radiators. They have mostly disappeared because their process was often ineffective. I bought my new radiator from C&G (800/266 0470). They cost a bit over $600, but I can drive anywhere without worry, even in the heat so common this year.

Normruss    -- 07-13-2021 @ 3:44 PM
  Thanks for this followup, especially the pictures! It looks like I don’t have the seals. Not sure what effect this would have? I suspect the radiator may be the culprit. I’m going to pick up non-contact thermometer and do some more investigation. Many thanks!!!!

Normruss    -- 07-13-2021 @ 3:49 PM
  Thanks again for your insights! I suspect you may be correct! Was your replacement a direct fit?

51woodie    -- 07-14-2021 @ 5:51 AM
  Norm I didn't know the history of the '46 when I bought it, as I was the fifth owner. Although it started and ran very well, I wanted to make sure it would get me back home at the end of the day. I went through the fuel, ignition, cooling and electrical systems to check, repair, service or replace. With the rad, I took it to a "commercial" rad shop to have them clean and pressure test it. All was good, so it went back in. I replaced the water pumps, (Dennis Carpenter, P/N 78-8501-PR) the rad hoses and installed 180 deg. thermostats. Having the rad done cost me $100.00.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14977