Topic: What Year Spindle?

deluxe40    -- 07-04-2021 @ 1:20 PM
  Can anyone identify the spindle (pictured) on the passenger side of my '32 Phaeton? The car has '46 hydraulic backing plates with '40 drums. While chasing a "clunk" in the front end I discovered that the drum does not seat properly on the spindle resulting in about 1/4 inch of "play" when gripping the wheel at top and bottom. The ridge on the spindle meets the grease seal in the drum and stops the drum from seating completely. The spindle on the driver's side does not have this ridge and the drum fits properly. Note that the small ring adapter on the shaft has been moved out to better show the spindle in the picture. This car was assembled in the 1970's. The "clunk" turned out to be a loose shock absorber.

trjford8    -- 07-05-2021 @ 7:24 AM
  It's obvious that the bolt holes in the spindle did not line up to the bolt holes in the backing plate. The holes in the backing plate have been modified to fit the backing plate. The spindle is not from a '37-'48 Ford car which would match the holes in the backing plate and would not have an adapter for the seal in the drum. Hopefully someone can identify this spindle. A photo of the back of the spindle would help.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 7-6-21 @ 7:16 AM

TomO    -- 07-05-2021 @ 8:21 AM
  I would not worry about the identity of the spindle, I would look for a good 39-41 or 42-48 spindle that matches the drivers side. The current spindle and bearing race are dangerous with that much play.

Tom

40 Coupe    -- 07-05-2021 @ 9:46 AM
  I think the ridge is a removable part used for early 32-4 spindles and later hubs. You may not need it

deluxe40    -- 07-05-2021 @ 2:22 PM
  Thanks to all for responding. As it turns out, 40 Coupe gave me the clue. I cleaned my bifocals, got a bright light and looked again. First, I put some putty on the drum (without the seal) to see how far it would go on before the bearing hit the little ring adapter. That showed that it was less than 1/8". Then I looked carefully at the ridge and thought I could see a seam between the ridge and the spindle. A few whacks with a hammer and chisel and it came off. I don't know if the extra piece was part of some other adapter or part of a previous drum seal. No matter, it's out of the way now.

I also realize that switching to '37-'40 spindles is the preferred way of doing this conversion. However, using a piston ring to mate the big center hole in the backing plate to the spindle and elongating the other holes to make the bolts fit is the traditional way. This car is an old hot rod that has been this way for at least 50 years, so I guess I will put it back the way it was built.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14975