Topic: Engine steady rods

oatycorb    -- 06-26-2021 @ 11:06 AM
  Probably a dumb question, but I'm relatively new to the whole flathead game. My '37 sedan had engine steady rods originally, it has a '47 59ab engine now that will be installed shortly. Firstly, where and how were the rods originally mounted? Secondly, since it has a later engine (that to my knowledge didn't use engine steady rods) should the rods still be used? I've got 2 rods that were in the trunk when I got the car, so I have them if needed, just don't know where they go. Thanks for your help guys!

supereal    -- 06-26-2021 @ 1:54 PM
  The "steady rods" were eliminated many years ago. They were intended to reduce or eliminate the usual rough clutch problems that were typical in Fords. Their effect on the problem was minor, if any at all. The primary cause was the
design of the drive line wherein the force of the rear axle pushed the torque tube, and thus the engine and transmission, forward when the clutch was engaged. In turn, the clutch linkage was affected, causing the shudder. At the time, several
"fixes" were sold by dealers. They tried to hold the engine steady, but were not very successful. I have the diagram of one in my collection. The best remedy is replacement of the motor mounts with new ones, and carefully tightening them until the rubber "donuts" begin to swell.

oatycorb    -- 06-28-2021 @ 7:34 AM
  Thank you for the info, much appreciated!!!

wmsteed    -- 07-02-2021 @ 9:11 AM
  All of the pre '49 Ford block are drilled for the 'steady rods.
The problem with the EFV8 steady rods are that they make the re-installation of the pre '49 engines a little more difficult to line up with the rear of the block, therefore, many mechanics eliminated them.
The steady rods attach to the rear cross member adjacent to the tail shaft of the trans utilizing a special tapered headed bolt.
In theory, if the motor/trans mounts are in good shape, correctly tightened, then the rods 'might not be needed', however, if it ain't broken why fix it'. The steady rods are good insurance to avoid putting a fan blade through the radiator core.
The common fix for a jumpy clutch when I was a kid was to pull the vehicle up to a telephone pole/tree with the front bumper touching same, then put the car in high gear, releasing the clutch while applying the throttle, while working the clutch peddle to burn the oil from the clutch lining that had dripped from the rear main seal. The smell of burning oil/clutch lining would signal when the clutch service project was complete.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

My statement about where the steady rods attach to early cars is incorrect. The EFV8's have an X member frame, no cross-member. The steady rods attach to the left/right side of the X member, on the bottom side of the upper frame rail, adjacent to the rear portion the trans. The hole through the frame is counter-sunk for the special bolt to go into.
Not to sure about the '42-48 Fords placement of the steady rods, however, I do know that all of the pre 49 engines are drilled for them. The 8BA/8CM engines have no provisions for the rods so a bracket has to be fabricated to attach the rods to the bellhousing in the early vehicles.

This message was edited by wmsteed on 7-3-21 @ 8:45 AM

TomO    -- 07-02-2021 @ 9:29 AM
  I agree with my friend, Supereal about the necessity of the rods. The answer of where they go is: on the pre 1941 Fords they go from the motor towards the rear to a point where they attach to the frame with a special bolt. On the later Fords they go forward to the frame attachment point.

Tom

51504bat    -- 07-02-2021 @ 12:36 PM
  When I got my '39 p/u it had an 8ba and the steady rods weren't attached. When backing up there was noticeable clutch chatter/shudder. I fabbed up brackets that attached to the bell housing so I could use the steady rods. Once I did that no more clutch chatter backing up.

oatycorb    -- 07-05-2021 @ 2:32 PM
  Thanks for all your help guys, you're the best! Having read all this I think I'll go ahead and bolt them up.

oatycorb    -- 07-06-2021 @ 4:23 AM
  Thanks wmsteed, I went out to the garage after reading all this and immediately found the attachment points on the frame and engine block.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14951