Topic: putting a late mercury flathead into a 1939 picku

bird    -- 06-23-2021 @ 7:28 PM
  I slipped in a late Mercury Flathead in to my 1939 ford pickup today.. The oil pan is touching the front cross member that the front suspension attaches too. The two big bolts that wrap around and hold the springs on are sitting so close to the front of the oil pan that I can't even slide a piece of paper between them. I can't push the engine back any further either. I'm afraid to raise the height of the motor mounts to much in fear of it affecting Torg tube from engine to rear end. This might be a stupid question and I'm hoping for an easy fix.

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-24-2021 @ 7:23 AM
  If I remember correctly there are little U-shaped mount heighteners (for lack of a better description) that when installed raise the front of the engine 3/4's to 1" above the stock mount. Not going to affect drive line angle to be concerned about. The U shaped pieces I believe may be stock Merc parts.
Paul in CT

alanwoodieman    -- 06-24-2021 @ 10:08 AM
  if you have merc pumps then you need the u shaped clips that raise the engine. merc pumps have a lot lower mount point.

TomO    -- 06-25-2021 @ 8:12 AM
  The 49-53 truck water pumps should be used when installing a late model V-8 in an early car or truck. The U-shaped brackets use with the Mercury water pumps may cause clutch chatter on a torque tube drive vehicle.

Tom

51504bat    -- 06-25-2021 @ 9:05 PM
  I have an 8ba using narrow belt OCM Merc pumps in my '39 p/u. As others have said you need the U shaped mounts that go between the mounting tab on the water pump and the rubber mount biscuit. You'll also need either a rear sump truck pan or a Merc rear sump pan. The late model flatheads used
1 1/4" upper radiator hoses and the '39 p/u had 1 3/4" upper radiator hoses. You can either get a reducer to go from 1 3/4" to 1 1/4" or Drake and Model Engineering both sell 1 3/4" thermostat housings so you don;t need a reducer in the upper hoses. I'm using the ones from Model Engineering because Drake was out of stock when I need the housings. IIRC the ones from Model Engineering were cheaper. Also, the late model flatheads didn't have a provision for steady rods. I fabbed up brackets that bolted to the bell housing. There was a guy offering brackets. Don't have any contact info but IIRC he used to advertise on Ebay. When I bought the truck it didn't have steady rods and it would shudder in reverse. Installed the steady rods and no more shudder.

This message was edited by 51504bat on 6-25-21 @ 9:11 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14949