Topic: 1939 deluxe coupe over heating issue.

rascal    -- 06-18-2021 @ 7:51 AM
  Recored radiator, no leaks, 160 thermostats, any thoughts would be helpful V8 motor.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-18-2021 @ 10:29 AM
  HI rascal
need more info,
are you going by the dash gauge or using a thermometer in the radiator when you get a hot reading,
does it develop steam ?
when the engine is running with rad cap off do you see any bubbles.
also do you have a way to check the pressure in the cooling system when it is running, ?
does it build up pressure ?
does it engine run smooth ?
if the motor new and not broke in ?
if the motor was rebuilt did the core hole plugs on the bottom of block remove and cleaned out the water jackets, ?
were rust settled ?
is you fan gen belt adjusted to specs ?
there are more questions
hope thishelps 37Ragtopman

rascal    -- 06-19-2021 @ 5:00 AM
  Thank you for replying,
I appear to be in good shape except for engine being broke in.
Being a newbe, what is suggested mileage for this?

Thanks again for replying.

TomO    -- 06-19-2021 @ 7:36 AM
  When does your engine over heat? In traffic or going down the road? If it is going down the road, how fast are you going?

Also answer the questions that 37ragtop asked. We can't begin to diagnose or help with your problem if we don't know the answers to these and may more questions.

Tom

rascal    -- 06-19-2021 @ 8:08 AM
  What I ment when I replyed to Ragtop was all questions he asked had been addressed
except for break-in. However the car heats up in weather when it's in the low 80s and up.
I just returned from a cruise and the temp. is in the low 70s to mid. and no problems.
The car has just under 2000 miles on it. I drive 50 to 55 mph. And the dash guage is very
close to a hand held thermo gun.

This message was edited by rascal on 6-19-21 @ 8:15 AM

carcrazy    -- 06-19-2021 @ 6:46 PM
  Distilled water is a more effective coolant than anti-freeze. Increasing the percentage of H2O in the coolant mix will aid in cooling the engine. If you don't have to worry about freezing in the winter, you can run 100% distilled water with just a small amount of water pump lubricant to prevent rust and corrosion in the cooling system.

51woodie    -- 06-19-2021 @ 6:51 PM
  Rascal. I have to ask, what temperature do you consider to be overheating? My 46 Coupe, 59AB runs at 180, with 180 stats.

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-20-2021 @ 7:22 AM
  "except for break-in." What does this mean?? Is this a new build?? How many miles?? If new, have the heads been re-torqued?? With the heat gun when warmed up what are the temps at the top and bottom of the radiator?? What is the temp at the top, both sides??
Paul in CT

TomO    -- 06-20-2021 @ 9:45 AM
  Most of us consider "overheating" as coolant boiling enough to lose some of it.

With 2,000 miles on a rebuilt engine, I would consider it "broke in."

You need to be very specific about the driving conditions when you over heat. Trying to diagnose a problem remotely requires accurate and detailed information. Examples of solutions to rare occurrences of overheating.

If you can drive at 30 mph on a 85F day with no problems but when you try to go 55mph you see steam coming from the radiator the solution that I would suggest is to have your distributor set up on a distributor machine.

If you can drive short distances without a problem, but on trips over 10 miles it overheating, I would suggest using a vacuum gauge to help diagnose the problem. It could be a plugged muffler or the valve timing.

Tom

mfirth    -- 06-20-2021 @ 5:12 PM
  51 woody makes a good point. 180 stats may help it run cooler than no stats. Been there, done that.

sarahcecelia    -- 06-20-2021 @ 5:38 PM
  Drop the speed in 3rd gear down to about 25, then make it "lug" to about 35 in 3rd gear. Do this 10 times in a row, to seat the rings,and don't drive much over 45 for about the first 5o miles; but during that time run it up to 50-55 sometimes for a few minutes, and then drop it back to 45 again. I'd say in about 100 miles it is pretty much broken in. Keep an eye on coolant level and oil level during all of ths! About a cup of Marval Mystery oil in the crank ccase is also good thing to do now, and at each oil change.

Regards, Steve Lee

Kens 36    -- 06-20-2021 @ 6:05 PM
  Steve,

The original poster said he passed 100 miles about 1,900 miles ago.

Ken

rascal    -- 06-23-2021 @ 7:43 AM
  Have been with company the last few days so haven't been on line to respond.
I thank everyone for their replies and appreciate all comments and suggestions.
I will continue to address this issue and return as needed, again please accept
my appreciation for all who replied.

Rascal

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14934