Topic: 1936 Shocks

f1tom    -- 07-01-2010 @ 9:46 PM
  I'm certain my '36 needs new shocks, driving over 40 mph is a white knuckler. I have the original Houdaille's which have never been rebuilt, so my questions are, should I have the originals rebuilt or convert to tube type shocks. If tube, any recommendation on Drakes' bolt-on shock kits and also what about the front sway bar kit.

Thanks for any suggestions.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-02-2010 @ 5:33 AM
  if you are a EV8F MEMBER will see a few venders rebuilding FORD V8 SHOCKS,in the V8 TIMES, also HEMMING'S MOTOR NEWS, there are venders,one in CONN,
if rebuilt you will not have to adapt anything a
BOLT OFF BOLT ON,
INSTALLING the tube shocks is not as EASY as you might think,
did you try adding oil or ajusting them ?
disconnect the link and see if there is any resistence.
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN,,,,,,,, KEEK ON TRUCKIN,

supereal    -- 07-02-2010 @ 9:57 AM
  Good add-on shocks are available from Chassis Engineering. Their website is www.chassisengineeringinc.com. Phone: 319/643-2655. Matching the shocks to the car is very important, both in length (stroke) and damping. Gas shocks are often too stiff for older vehicles unless carefully chosen.

sunflower    -- 07-02-2010 @ 4:00 PM
  Get the original shocks rebuilt by Bill Wzorek,he can be reached at WPWZ@COMCAST.NET

flatheadfan    -- 07-03-2010 @ 8:45 AM
  Let me give you another option. I have Lovejoys on all four corners of my '35. These things are "bullet proof" and will give you a super ride. They bolt-on without having to drill holes, weld anything or change the shock links. A super-easy swap with big benefits. Another possibility are Armstrongs. They are also a super-ride maker. In either case these shocks frequently come up on eBay for less than $50 for a NOS unit.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 07-03-2010 @ 8:48 AM

Lovejoy front:

supereal    -- 07-04-2010 @ 9:02 AM
  I haven't seen those type of shocks for years. I believe that they were devised to compete with the "knee action" that GM brought out in the mid 1930's. As I remember, they had a good double-acting effect, something that really helps old Ford handling, as does a good set of tube shocks.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1493