Topic: fuel flow

JohnA    -- 06-13-2021 @ 12:14 PM
  On my 1948 ford 2dr sedan, stock 239, when removing fuel line from fuel pump to carb very little fuel comes out of line, shouldn't their be a spray of fuel, like theirs no pressure. Car has been stalling lately, like lack of fuel. I will check glass fuel bowl, sometimes the screen gets pluged. Sometimes I think my liquid bladder in gas tank starting to break down?? which was done 20 years ago, I use high test gas so not much Ethanol.

mfirth    -- 06-13-2021 @ 1:54 PM
  The fuel pump may be bad, but also make sure there is no leakage at "the glass bowl". If you have a flexable fuel line, they can de laminate & collapse inside. Hope this helps . mike

JohnA    -- 06-13-2021 @ 2:56 PM
  flexible line new. I'm thinking mesh may be clogged in pump at glass bowl. Thinking easy fix. Thanks Johna Real humid up here in Ontario Canada. Covid almost under control

Kens 36    -- 06-13-2021 @ 7:35 PM
  John,

Make sure you have a new gasket, or one in good shape, on the glass fuel bowl. Overtightening the fuel bowl can also distort the gasket.

Ken

42wagon    -- 06-14-2021 @ 3:13 AM
  Tell us about the "liquid bladder" you have in the fuel tank.

len47merc    -- 06-14-2021 @ 8:37 AM
  Please do not discount the simplest but what was to me anyway the most non-intuitive fix. Because I'm stubborn, bull-headed, egotistical, and wouldn't listen to the Senior advisors on this site I spent time and $$$'s to fix everything BUT removing the glass bowl and seal, cleaning the bowl and seat, installing a new seal and properly tightening it - as Kens 36 notes. Cost a buck maybe and 5-10 minutes of time when I finally swallowed my pride, accepted that something that simple maybe, just maybe (probably wouldn't though I thought at the time - bowl seemed tight to my calibrated fingers) could be the issue and performed the task.

And the fuel starvation under load at speed (up hills, etc.), was resolved. Entirely.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14916