Topic: Different crab distributor

1942deluxe    -- 06-12-2021 @ 4:27 PM
  Not the greatest picture but notice the "lugs" underneath the bail
and the vent on the bottom. Anybody have any insights on those two
items. Was in a Ford Reman box with a 59A part number when I got
it years ago. Charlie Schwendler just went thru it for me and it works
great on my 1948 Ford business coupe.

supereal    -- 06-26-2021 @ 2:25 PM
  The "crab" distributor was used only for one year, 1942, It was replaced because any water coming through the radiator may cause problems. They also require a rotor that is different than other styles. Be wary of any parts found in a box found either in the car, or at a swap meet. They may not be correct, or are in some way damaged. This happens when a dealer repairs the car, and someone put the original part in the old box, and placed it back in stock. This has happened to me more than once. I bought a supposed "new old stock" dashboard clock for my '47. It looked fine but didn't work. The fine wire on the spring winder was broken. I had seen this before, and easily repaired it.

40 Coupe    -- 06-27-2021 @ 4:16 AM
  Your distributor looks like the 45-48 V8 59A-12127 with the large bail to hold the two piece cap. Your photo is not very good! Is it a cast iron or aluminum?

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 6-27-21 @ 4:24 AM

1942deluxe    -- 06-27-2021 @ 10:16 AM
  Super, you're right about NOS parts. That one had no spark until Charlie rebuilt it even though it was new in the box.
I've had 12 1942-48 Fords and never seen the lugs below the bail on the bottom of the distributor. In the green parts book the illustration for the truck 42-44 distributor appears to have the "lugs". Wondering if that was the original application. Running the 59A cap and outer cap plus rotor and seems to work fine. I thought aluminum body when I put it on but I might be wrong.

This message was edited by 1942deluxe on 6-27-21 @ 10:22 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14915