Topic: 37 front crossmember

oatycorb    -- 06-11-2021 @ 11:44 AM
  Hello everyone,
I'm planning on replacing the front frame crossmember in my 37 Fordor next week. The original crossmember was severely damaged sometime in the distant past, a crudely welded repair was made but it's pretty sketchy. I recently was able to find an NOS crossmember so, with the motor out and all the front sheet metal removed, now is the time to do it. I've never made a repair like this before so if any of you more experienced guys could give me tips or advice it would be extremely helpful and appreciated. Removal seems simple enough, I'm assuming the original frame rivets can just be drilled out. I've inherited some riveting tools from an old Ford guy but I've never done any riveting work myself so I'm a little unsure about installing new rivets. Would it be okay to simply bolt it back in? This car is a barn find that's going to be a driver so I'm not worried about originality, I just want it to be a solid repair. Thank you for any help!

ford38v8    -- 06-11-2021 @ 11:23 PM
  Most definitely use the rivets rather than bolts. If installed correctly, rivets are far superior to any bolt in the universe. Bolts may work the holes, resulting in frame twisting, tweaking doors and body panels. Your intention to make it a driver rather than a show car is all the more important that this job be done correctly. I'd suggest several practice rivets on the damaged crossmember to hone your skills.

Alan

51woodie    -- 06-12-2021 @ 2:58 AM
  Years ago, I asked an Ironworker about the riveting process with the hot rivets. If my memory serves, the idea is that the red hot rivet is easier to rivet with a buck and pneumatic hammer. The heat also allows the shank to expand so it fits tight in the hole, and the shank shortens when it cools, which puts tension on the shank of the rivet to add a clamping force. The other thing was that the faces of the connecting pieces had to be clean. Could be wrong, but that is as I remember from a lot of years ago.

40 Coupe    -- 06-12-2021 @ 4:19 AM
  Grind one side of the rivet flat to the frame and then drill all the way through the center of the rivet, after drilling punch the remainder of the rivet out. This leaves the hole the same size ford made it.

oatycorb    -- 06-13-2021 @ 7:41 AM
  Thank you all for the advice, I'm definitely going to rivet it back in!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14911