Topic: Broken window

wrosenkrans    -- 06-10-2021 @ 1:28 PM
  I have a 1942 Sedan with a broken passenger side window. I drove it a couple weeks ago and everything was fine, then this past weekend, there it was. No idea how it happened, other than some pretty severe temperature shifts.

Any way, it doesn't look like an easy fix, and I don't even know where to start. Any help gratefully accepted.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

carcrazy    -- 06-10-2021 @ 2:02 PM
  A first step would be to take the car to a local auto glass shop to see what they would charge to do the job.

CharlieStephens    -- 06-10-2021 @ 2:47 PM
  A better first step might to be to inquire at the local EFV8 Club chapter what local glass shop knows how to work on the early Fords. Then as car crazy suggests, take it to a shop.

Charlie Stephens

42wagon    -- 06-11-2021 @ 3:18 AM
  If I recall from past posts that is a pretty much original car. Therefore you probably don't want to just replace the window but replace it with one with the proper glass "bug". The removal of the window is relatively simple. Remove the inner door panel and the trim that surrounds the opening, remove a couple of "c" clips and the glass and frame piece will slip out. At least that is the way I recall doing it on a station wagon.

Now comes the problem. It is easy to cut a piece of glass to fit, but you need a kit to replicate the "bug". Talk to guys in your local club. They probably know someone who can do the job.

1940 Tom    -- 06-11-2021 @ 12:05 PM
  Good Afternoon - Happy Friday--

Check with Sanders Reproduction Glass - 1-877-882-4884 or "sandersreproductionglass.com".

They can cut you a piece of authentic-looking glass, including the correct "bug" and the proper black edging around the perimeter.

Check their website - shift over to the dark blue portion of your screen, then click on "Links", which will take you to "Vendors". The vendors listed are in alphabetical order.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Tom

wrosenkrans    -- 06-21-2021 @ 9:12 AM
  Thanks very much guys, this is indeed a very original car.

I’ll start poking at removing the door panel and getting the glass out - did something similar on a Model A last year.

The suggested vendor also sounds like just the ticket because I would like to retain the bugs.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

DanD32    -- 06-21-2021 @ 1:44 PM

This message was edited by DanD32 on 6-21-21 @ 1:46 PM

DanD32    -- 06-21-2021 @ 1:46 PM
  Stay away from safe light auto their glass is not good quality

trjford8    -- 06-21-2021 @ 2:21 PM
  Once the glass is out of the door start checking the glass channel for wear and any sharp edges in the channel or at the edges where the window runs. Vibration plus a raw metal edge that touches the glass will also break a new glass. You may be due for new channels, etc. in the nice original car.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14908