Topic: 34 Cabriolet side window channels

jretter    -- 06-07-2021 @ 6:23 PM
  I am restoring the 4 vertical side window channels that are mounted inside the doors of my 34 Cabriolet. They are an interesting assembly that uses a spring-loaded strip of metal that "squeezes" the window frames on each side while they are rolled up and down. The window frames have rollers in them that contact the inside surfaces of the spring-loaded window channels, keeping them straight and supported as the windows go up and down. Clever design. I am hoping someone out there in the club can send me a photo that shows how these channels are supposed to be assembled. The only assembled one that I have for a reference appears to be someone else's attempt to to restore it. It's pretty crudely done. If you have a photo that shows how these spring-loaded strips are attached, I would sure like to see it. Thanks. Jerry.

40 Coupe    -- 06-09-2021 @ 4:57 AM
  On the 35 Cabriolet the window channels have mounting brackets welded to the channels at the top and bottom. there are screws to attach the brackets to the doors at the top and side of the doors. Bob Drake sells a rebuilding kit for the rollers but he list them for 35-39 I do not know if they are different from the 34. If your brass rollers are in good shape the ball bearings are available at the hardware store.

jretter    -- 06-28-2021 @ 6:35 PM
  Thanks. I have the rebuilding kits, and the new parts look exactly like the original ones in the window frames for my '34. The parts I am not certain about are the channels that attach inside the doors. As I tried to describe them, they have a strip inside the channel that is attached with springs in a way that will squeeze the strip against the sides of the window frames such that the rollers in the window frames are loaded in a way that keeps the window from "wobbling" as the window is cranked up or down. That is the assembly I am hoping to learn more about - with a picture, if someone happens to have one.

40 Coupe    -- 06-29-2021 @ 4:10 AM
  Yes the channels do have the springs. On the 35 channels there is a felt weather strip held in place by the bent over metal. Do you need photos of the channels completely assembled before installation or has someone disassembled the channels and springs, or how to place the channels in the door ??

jretter    -- 07-04-2021 @ 9:14 AM
  I would like to see a photo of an assembled channel, showing the spring-backed strip. Thanks. Jerry.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14896