Topic: Mechanic Needed Bay Area--Head Gaskets 1946 Ford

Tinface    -- 06-03-2021 @ 12:14 PM
  Hi--I need help finding a mechanic for my 1941 Ford 1/2 ton truck---I have a 1946 Ford motor in it. It got very hot last week in traffic and now there is brown goo in the radiator water. The engine oil still is clear and not higher than it was.

I called Tony Loyd (I found in the "Links" area of EFV8 club) He's retired now--he kindly recommended Vick Sassero (sp?)

Can anyone help me find someone to work on my truck here in the greater Bay Area?

Thank you,

Mark Samson
650-450-7979
marksamson@me.com

This message was edited by Tinface on 6-3-21 @ 12:18 PM

trjford8    -- 06-03-2021 @ 5:39 PM
  If you have a V-8 Club roster call Mark Norell or Mark Strohecker. Both live in the bay area. They can give you some referrals or may be able to do the job for you..

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-04-2021 @ 11:06 AM
  Go to a Car Show or Cruise. Look for guys with FlatHeads. They may know of someone.
Paul in CT

JayChicago    -- 06-05-2021 @ 11:05 AM
  Does “brown goo in the radiator” after running hot indicate a need to replace the head gaskets? Maybe boiling just disrupted some old rust in the cooling system. Maybe you just need to do a drain and flush.

Tinface    -- 06-05-2021 @ 1:41 PM
  @jaychicago—Hi Jay—That’s a great idea might give that a try.

Thank you Jay,

Mark

Tinface    -- 06-05-2021 @ 1:42 PM
  Hi Tri Ford—I sure appreciate that! Thank you so much!

Mark Samson

Tinface    -- 06-05-2021 @ 1:48 PM
  @ 1931 Flamingo—That is a good idea too. Sort of hoping I could find someone and have it towed right over.Oh Well—I suppose that’s the price we pay for what we love.

Thank you,

Mark

Tinface    -- 06-11-2021 @ 12:39 PM
  @jaychicago

Hi Jay--I have been draining the fluid in a large container to take to the recycling hazards waste drop-off and flushing the cooling system out alternating with a cooling cleaner purchased from an auto-parts store. I think you might be on to something. A lot of rusty looking fluid comes out. But not so much looking poke the lighter looking oil and water goop I've seen when a head gasket has failed in the past on other vehicles.

I really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you so much.

Mark in Palo Alto, California.

Mark Samson

Only a highly educated person could say such a stupid thing!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14885