Topic: 1937 generator

mzahorik    -- 06-02-2021 @ 9:11 AM
  I've been working on the engine of my 1937 and while waiting for some machining to be complete, I thought I'd look at the generator. It is dirty but seems to work just fine. I found that the front ball bearing is held in the front plate by what looks like a threaded aluminum disk. It also looks as if it may have been a seal, but the internal part of it is long gone. Currently, I'm trying to remove it. Some gentle heating and a lot of oil. So far it is just crumbling. I don't see this part in any parts book and I'm wondering what it really is. Thanks Mike

mzahorik    -- 06-02-2021 @ 10:02 AM
  Well..... it appears that I have an earlier generator. 1932-1936. I think this generator is a 12 ampere unit. I think that I'll see if I can find a later unit to get a little more output, Thanks Mike

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-02-2021 @ 10:40 AM
  HI 37generator
you can get it rebuilt by CERTIFIED AUTO ELECTRIC, 6vto12v@gmail.com or 440 439 1100
these guys can get it done right, have all the parts,
hope this helps 37 Ragtopman, Maine
they even have alternators to fit the flatheads,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-2-21 @ 11:11 AM

40 Coupe    -- 06-02-2021 @ 1:40 PM
  Generators parts and pieces are usually swapped from one generator to another. Go through the ford parts books and you can find photos and dimensions of the front plate , pulley, armature etc. so you know what your looking for.

oatycorb    -- 06-03-2021 @ 12:00 PM
  That threaded disc is made of pot metal, not aluminum, as you found out it is VERY fragile. I got mine out using a flat piece of steel, cut square to fit tightly in the notches of that disc, turned it with a big adjustable wrench and it came right out. Had to buy a another used generator just to get that part tho, couldn't find one anywhere. Btw that disc adjusts endplay of the armature bearings. Hope this helps.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14881