Topic: 1937 fuel tank problems

oatycorb    -- 05-29-2021 @ 1:16 PM
  I recently removed the original fuel tank from my late '37 Fordor, which has the filler neck tube attached to it. When it was parked in 1958 it apparently had a nearly full tank of gas, which, as you can guess, has turned into 3 or so inches of primordial ooze mixed with rust layering the inside of the tank. There's a couple small holes on top of the tank where there are low spots where water would tend to collect. It was obviously easier to buy a new tank than to try and clean and repair the old one (if it's even possible). The problem I'm running into is I haven't been able to find a new tank that's exactly the same as my old one as far as pickup tube location AND one that accepts the original style 6 hole sending unit. Will any of the commonly available 5 hole senders work with my original fuel gauge and 6 volt electrics? If so then the late '37 style tank from Mac's Auto parts looks the part except the angle on the filler neck extension appears to be wrong, at least from the photo in their catalogue. Looking for suggestions from you more experienced guys about sources for a new tank or refurbishing my old one. Thanks for reading my post, you guys have been a HUGE help to me while trying to get this car back on the road.

nelsb01    -- 05-29-2021 @ 3:48 PM
  I have no experience with the newly reproduced gas tanks.
But, before you go that direction, I would place a wanted ad and see what you can find.

I believe that there maybe a gas tank or two out there that would replace your neglected one.

1931 Flamingo    -- 05-30-2021 @ 8:05 AM
  As above, you could look for a used tank, or Tanks Inc. or Drake.
Others may have different suggestions.
Paul in CT

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-30-2021 @ 2:16 PM
  HI
I would take the tank to a machine shop or a radiator shop that boils out the tank,
you can chemically clean it out.
I did this to my 37 back in 1975 and have had no problems since,
EASTWOOD has a chemical cleaner and a great gas tank sealer,
I just did a 64 cj5 JEEP tank,
I would try to stay with the original , you know it fits,
this repro is not for me,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

oatycorb    -- 05-30-2021 @ 4:48 PM
  Thanks guys. I checked Drakes and they only sell the early '37 tank with the thread in filler tube collar, and Tanks only makes them for applications where a later model engine is installed, they all take a modern 5 hole sending unit which as far as I know won't work with the original liquid filled fuel gauge.
37ragtopman, thanks for the advice (once again), I'll look into having the old one cleaned out and sealed. Glad I didn't throw it away yet!!

trjford8    -- 05-31-2021 @ 7:59 AM
  I would not fuss with a gas tank that old. try Joe's Antique Auto at 1-800-508-3980. He shows both the early tank and the late tank. At one time those tanks came with both sets of holes so you could use the early or late sender.

supereal    -- 06-01-2021 @ 2:38 PM
  I replaced a rusty original fuel tank in my '47 years ago. It had a number of pinholes in the top from years of accumulation of road dust which formed a "poultice" of mud from driving in rain or winter weather. It fit right in the place of the original tank, and required little adjustment. There is a vent hose that leads under the wheel well on the filler side of the car. You must install a wire between one of the sender mounting screws and a rust free place on the frame to allow the gauge to work.
I bought my tank from a place called "Yogis", but Tanks Inc, or a full line vendor, should have them. Alcohol in today's gas collects moisture, another reason to go plastic. For those "originalists", once the plastic tank is installed, it appears much the same as the metal type

This message was edited by supereal on 6-1-21 @ 2:41 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14869