Topic: Vacuum winshield wipers

Mark46-48    -- 05-25-2021 @ 2:03 PM
  I hate the vacuum wipers on my '48 coupe. How big a deal is it to install an electric electric wiper kit? I have basic mechanical skills but I'm no mechanic.

kubes40    -- 05-25-2021 @ 8:11 PM
  If you would have the vacuum motor rebuilt properly, you will be amazed at how well they work. Ficken Wiper does a great job rather reasonably.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

MG    -- 05-25-2021 @ 9:01 PM
  I brought the vacuum wipers in my car back to life by spraying some Gibbs oil into the vacuum hose connected to the wiper motor....I was amazed at how well this worked! That was 3 years ago and they're still going strong. I suspect that any brand spray lubricant will work....

51woodie    -- 05-26-2021 @ 3:08 AM
  I had to replace the wiper motor on my '46 Coupe two years ago, with an almost NOS, and it works great. I tried the "lube in the hose" as suggested by several posts, but I can't understand how it would work, and for me it didn't. In my old mind, any lube put in the hose would be sucked into the carb base as soon as the engine was started. What detail in the process did I miss? Should I have put the lube in the hose that runs from the the control valve (connection on the left in pic.) to the motor, instead of the line from the carb base to the motor?

Jacques1960    -- 05-26-2021 @ 4:59 AM
  The motor is one thing, the diminutive wiper blades yet another !

Jacques1960    -- 05-26-2021 @ 5:01 AM
  The purpose of introducing lubricant (brake fluid, ATF, etc.) is to rejuvenate the internal diaphragm.

Generally works extremely well.

woodiewagon46    -- 05-26-2021 @ 6:14 AM
  There are several electric wiper kit's available for your car. Working under your dash to install the kit can be a real challenge though and you might need to remove your radio. As others have suggested I would also tend to get my original wiper working. Perhaps a vacuum canister would help your situation. Canisters were used in numerous cars and are plentiful in salvage yards. If you aren't a stickler for something stock, you could install a vacuum pump in the system so you would never run out of vacuum. Ford did offer an accessory vacuum storage tank for '46-'48 that fit under the left front fender but they are pretty scarce.

ford38v8    -- 05-26-2021 @ 8:03 PM
  I’ve always considered that since there are so many modern conveniences and snazzy doodads available on new cars these days, why not just buy a new car with tons of creature comforts and let some other dude play museum docent at the car shows.
By the way, I kinda like the tiny little wiper blades that go fast when I don’t, and go slow when I stomp it! My car radio Hums also, but I can’t seem to find Fibber McGee and Molly on when I’m driving.

Alan

carcrazy    -- 05-26-2021 @ 11:14 PM
  You may be able to install a double action mechanical fuel pump where the original single action pump was located on the engine. There was a double action pump available on 1951 thru 1953 Fords, not sure one was available for 1948s. The double action pump provides fuel to the engine and vacuum to the windshield wipers.

51woodie    -- 05-27-2021 @ 1:44 PM
  Maybe I hijacked Mark's post, but I'm still wondering about the question I asked, on the process to lube the wiper motor. Where to put the lube?

MG    -- 05-27-2021 @ 2:00 PM
  I removed the rubber vacuum hose from the base of the carb and sprayed the lube directly into the hose. The oil spray can did have the long red plastic tube on its nozzle....Worked like a champ....

oops,,,,I forgot to mention that I did operate the wiper arms manually a couple of times back and forth before I reconnected the vacuum hose to the base of the carb....

This message was edited by MG on 5-27-21 @ 3:51 PM

ford38v8    -- 05-27-2021 @ 3:55 PM
  51woodie, the vacuum hose can be removed from the engine side, and spray oil into it while manually operating the wiper motor. Any oil will work if the internal blade is not totally shot, but remember that the engine will be the ultimate recipient of what goes into that hose. A rebuild of the wiper motor will work wonders for it! When working properly, the control knob will function as a speed control, from dead slow to h*lla fast.

Alan

Steve Kennedy    -- 05-28-2021 @ 6:26 PM
  I had my original '36 vacuum wiper rebuilt several years ago. And it has taken that long to finish the rest of the project . Anyway, they don't work. First thing I want to do is check to see if there is sufficient vacuum on my 8BA. I borrowed a vacuum gauge from a friend and will hook it up tomorrow. How much vacuum should I hope to have?
Steve

carcrazy    -- 05-28-2021 @ 7:07 PM
  A healthy flathead should have about 19" of vacuum at idle when it is at sea level. It will have less vacuum at altitude. It will also have less vacuum when the car is driving down the road and the engine is under a load or accelerating.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14862