Topic: carb

JohnA    -- 05-22-2021 @ 6:07 PM
  If my car sits for more than a week I have to pour gas down carb to start, after that runs like charm. Possible low fuel pressure maybe??, using choke doesn't help much. When I look down throat of carb not seeing any fuel coming out of Ventura. Johna (1948 Ford 2dr 239 stock)

42wagon    -- 05-23-2021 @ 3:25 AM
  John
This seems to be a chronic problem to the point that some people install electric fuel pumps just to prime the fuel pump. If you look in the club magazine you will find fuel hoses with check valves. Not sure if they work that well. As for me, I just live with the problem and pour gas down the carb if I leave the car for a while.

40 Coupe    -- 05-23-2021 @ 4:16 AM
  Yes dry Carbs are a common problem. Just to check take the top off the carb and put some fuel in the bowl, and measure the level. check back after a few hours to see if the level of the fuel has dropped. If so the power valve may be leaking.

ken ct.    -- 05-23-2021 @ 4:25 AM
  It could be a weak FP or a leaky power valve (smell your oil dip stick for gas smell). I sell leak pruff power valves and or USA rebuilt glass bowl fuel pumps if you need. OMO. ken ct. 1-203-260-9780 cell.

Sneezer    -- 05-23-2021 @ 5:19 AM
  It will probably be blasphemy on this site but I eliminated the carburetor for a Chevrolet TBI fuel injection removed from a 1988 S10 with the 4.3l motor. Starts readily after setting for weeks, idles forever without loading up with excessive fuel and has more power and torque

kubes40    -- 05-23-2021 @ 6:03 AM
  I'd suggest a strong possibility that you are experiencing one or more typical issues with your fuel system.

The fuel in the carburetor will evaporate simply due to the fact this is an "open system". When you shut the engine down, pull the choke out. That will slow the evaporation process.

A flex fuel line with a check valve is nothing more than a bandage. If your fuel pump is rebuilt correctly, the check valve within it will keep the fuel from "backing up".

The carburetor must be rebuilt correctly as well. I leave my cars sit for weeks at a time and each and every one starts (no priming) within 10 - 20 seconds.

No magic involved to remedy your predicament. Just proper, read: correct, rebuilding of critical parts.

Oh, ferrules on the solid lines were soldered originally for a reason. Something I rarely see done these days.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 05-23-2021 @ 10:38 AM
  If your fuel bowl is empty after a week, your carburetor is leaking, most likely from the power valve. I started my Mercury in early March to move it so I would have room to work on my Lincoln. It started in about 30 seconds. With this heat that we have been having, it might take a little longer to start. It has been sitting since early March.

Tom

Robert/Texas    -- 05-24-2021 @ 6:08 AM
  My 1937 Ford acted like this for years. I don't drive it often and usually it took me over ten minutes to get it started. About two years ago I installed one of Shewman's check valve fuel hoses and now it always starts quickly without priming.

kubes40    -- 05-24-2021 @ 6:37 AM
  Robert, A properly rebuilt fuel pump would have done the same thing as that hose.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Robert/Texas    -- 05-24-2021 @ 8:35 AM
  Kube, that’s good to know. The new fuel pump that I installed years ago was probably foreign made.

Thanks, Robert

TomO    -- 05-24-2021 @ 8:45 AM
  IMHO Shewman's check valve flex lines are a solution waiting for a problem.

In order to have a siphoning action the pressure in the supply side of the line must be higher than the pressure of the receiving end.The outlet for the tank is near the bottom of the tank, so the pressure of the fuel in the tank would be higher than the pressure in the fuel lines so if there were to be siphoning action, it would be from the tank to the fuel lines.

My guess is that your flex hose was leaking vacuum and when you replaced it, the problem was solved. So any quality flex hose would have fixed your problem. Your long cranking times are typical of a deteriorated flex line or other vacuum leak in the suppl7y line. A weak fuel pump will also cause long cranking times.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14854