Topic: 3 spd trans id in 41 Ford coupe

bill41ford    -- 05-19-2021 @ 4:03 AM
  Continuing to work on my 41 Ford coupe - it has a 49 flathead (8BA on heads) and a 3 spd (column shift) that I thought was the original but the number on the trans above the inspection plate is *99A-I322594* From what I see on Van Pelt's serial # breakdown this number is a 46 mercury? Hoping someone can verify or set me straight on this number.

kubes40    -- 05-19-2021 @ 5:45 AM
  Bill, The wrong transmission is pretty much typical in any old Ford. In fact, to find a car with the transmission it was built with is more of an oddity than not.
Keep in mind that years ago, it was MUCH cheaper to simply replace the transmission than repair it. Even in the mid 1970's I'd go to the local junk yard and for a crisp $10 bill, I could pick through a large "pile" of flatty transmissions and haul it (them) home.
Being a bit of a collector, I'd brought a LOT of them home back then and just recently used up my last one from that decade.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

wmsteed    -- 05-20-2021 @ 11:15 AM
  If the number research you did is correct, the indication that the trans is from a Merc, that can be a good thing. As I recall the Merc's had 28 tooth gear sets which is a good overall ratio.
As Kubes pointed out the likely hood of finding a vehicle with a matching serial number on the trans is slim to none. Basically the only thing that an EFV8 serial number means is approximately when the engine/trans combo was assembled into one unit at the Dearborn plant.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

bill41ford    -- 05-21-2021 @ 8:34 AM
  Because the engine had been changed it doesn't surprise me that the trans was also, just trying to id before I start to rebuild it in order to get correct parts. Haven't opened it up yet, finishing rear suspension and brakes - trans is next.

1931 Flamingo    -- 05-21-2021 @ 1:11 PM
  39-48 transmission gears are the same.
Go to the Van Pelt website. His tranny book is the "bible". He sells everything you need. Try to reuse the bearings as new ones are no good. JMO
Paul in CT

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14843