Topic: 36 V8 steering column disassembly

Jethro    -- 05-07-2021 @ 6:01 PM
  The shaft that runs through the steering column is bound up; can't turn the steering wheel. I have removed the pitman arm and steering box; still bound. Have removed column from the vehicle and removed the steering wheel, still bound. I am trying to remove the center shaft (which seems to be bound) but have been unable to so far. I assumed it would come out through the bottom but no luck. How do I remove this shaft? Is it necessary to remove the worm gear at the bottom of the shaft? HELP! Thank you.
Best regards,
Jonathan Bodine

40 Coupe    -- 05-08-2021 @ 4:24 AM
  The shaft and worm gear together come out through the top of the box, after removing the steering wheel, Light switch , horn rod, outer column, the top of the box and the inner top race. IMO suggest you remove the entire box since it appears your going to have to rebuild and adjust, and maybe replace with another box. The rebuilding instructions are in the early Ford Service Bulletins.

Jethro    -- 05-08-2021 @ 6:52 AM
  Good Morning 40Coupe:
Thanks for the reply. I have the column out of the car. Horn rod and steering wheel are off and stored away safely. Steering box is off, worm is exposed. I can't figure out how to get shaft with the worm on it's lower end out of the outer column. The shaft has the worm at the bottom and is bound up inside the outer column. As a result I need to remove it and correct what ever is causing the bind inside. Advice please. Thank you.
R/S, Jonathan Bodine

1931 Flamingo    -- 05-08-2021 @ 9:52 AM
  I hate to sound stupid but is there a steering wheel lock near the ign sw??
Paul in CT

40 Coupe    -- 05-08-2021 @ 11:54 AM
  Have you removed the Sector shaft? The top of the box with the 4 bolts and slide the top off the inner column?? Then you must remove the upper bearing race for the worm . suggest holding the inner column in a vice and pulling on the steering box. use a large rubber mallet to get the upper race to come out,they can be hard to remove. If your finding a lot of rust, inside the box, it may be necessary to heat the top of the box around the opening for the upper race removal. At that point start thinking of another box when you reassemble the upper bearing race for the worm the race has to slide in and out it becomes part of an adjustment if it will not slide it can not be adjusted properly.
You should be able to also press the bottom of the worm through the light switch hole and press the upper race and worm and inner steering shaft out.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 5-8-21 @ 11:59 AM

Jethro    -- 05-08-2021 @ 2:38 PM
  Hello all:
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. To 1931 Flamingo. Not a stupid observation at all. I didn't know there was a steering wheel lock. Although I've been working on old cars all of my life I have never worked on anything this NEW. Took the ignition key out to the garage, put it in and turned it. The little button on the side moved and the shaft fell out. SUCCESS!! And nothing was broken trying to horse something that I didn't understand. Now I can fix everything and move foreword. Thank you again 1931 Flamingo and 40Coupe and thank you Early Ford V-8 Club Forum. I hope that someday I can pay this back. I intend to have a lot more fun with this vehicle and in this club!!
Best regards,
Jonathan Bodine

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14813