Topic: how to mount '34 rear bumper

jcf    -- 05-06-2021 @ 9:50 AM
  I am working to put the rear bumper back on the car. Is there a proper way to do this?
I have the two brackets mounted on the bumper and now find they are not in line with the car frame mounts. I am trying to use long clamps that I used in some wood working projects to bring the spring loaded bumper into position, and I am not having much success. Any suggestions?
thanks, John.

thanks, John Fisher

1931 Flamingo    -- 05-06-2021 @ 12:55 PM
  I just went thru this on my 40 trying to install front and rear grill guards. Had to go to a body shop. After you get the bumper brackets mounted to the frame, now you have to either heat the arms with a rose bud torch so they can be "formed", or we used a heat inducer on the arms and "formed" mine that way (paint on the arms is NOT damaged)
Trial and error until ALL holes on the bumper line up with the arms.
Hope this helps.
Paul in CT

trjford8    -- 05-06-2021 @ 3:18 PM
  I mount all the brackets to the frame and leave the bolts loose. Then mount the bumper to the brackets and leave the bolts loose. Now slowly tighten up the brackets to your frame , but not tight. Then go to the bumper and slowly tighten to the brackets, but not tight. If all is lining up then tighten down brackets first and then bumper. This has always worked for me unless the brackets are damaged and bent.

40 Coupe    -- 05-07-2021 @ 4:54 AM
  Make sure you have the correct bumper. The mounting hole spacing in the 33 bumper is different than the 34. I too suggest mounting the brackets to the body first then adding the bumper if you have the correct bumper and the hole mismatch is slight. You could also try switching the L and R brackets to see if that makes a difference and helps.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 5-7-21 @ 4:55 AM

1934 Ford    -- 05-09-2021 @ 8:33 AM
  40 Coupe is 100% right! Sounds like your brackets and bumper are not both 1933 or 1934.
Measure the distnce between the bumper bolt holes on a complete 1934 Ford. If your parts
are not all the same year, they will not fit. AS I remember, the differeance is about 3 inches.
The 34 Luggage rack does not fit the 33 Ford unless you change the bumper and the brackets
to 1934. Most catalogs don't know that either.

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 5-9-21 @ 8:39 AM

3w2    -- 05-09-2021 @ 9:57 AM
  With respect, both the two versions of the original brackets used for '33 luggage racks (one set for a side-mounted spare and the other for a rear mounted spare) are completely compatible with a '33 rear bumper. You're correct if you try and attach a '34 rack on a '33 as its brackets were understandably designed to be used on a '34.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14809