Topic: Radio Question

Garrison202    -- 05-05-2021 @ 1:27 PM
  Hello Friends,
The ‘35 - ‘36 Ford book describes radios for those years being mounted above the steering column with a speaker built into the actual unit itself (Open Car Radio) or being above the windshield “in the center of the header” (Closed Car Radio).
My ‘36 Phaeton has the Philco “Closed Car” version, but with a large speaker and box mounted on the passenger side firewall, under the glove box.
I assume this was to adapt a closed Car Radio for use in my Open Car (convertible) phaeton. Does this seem right? Has anyone else seen this?
It’s curious. I also have an exposed, wire aerial, mounted to the hood and not built into the frame or spare tire of the car.
Whatever the case, I am wondering: how do I turn the radio off? There is no on/off switch, as far as I can tell. I can, of course, turn the volume all the way to zero. Does this, essentially, power the radio off as well? I just don’t want to burn the vacuum tubes when the radio is not being used.

* I can’t help but add how amazed and appreciative I am for all the work that went into the ‘35-‘36 Ford book. What an undertaking! I think of you all, every time I open my copy, which is often!

carcrazy    -- 05-05-2021 @ 2:49 PM
  If there is no provision to turn the radio off, you can place an inline switch in the radio power feed line.

wmsteed    -- 05-06-2021 @ 8:51 AM
  Some of the '35-36 closed car Philco radios came with a toggle switch mounter in the receiver box close to the lower right corner. Generally the off/on switch is incorporated within the volume control.
There are two styles of the '35-'36 open car radios, as shown in the Ford V8 book. The '35 style of radio is very common in the '36 Ford's due to the fact that generally all radios, etc., were dealer installed.
I think if you watch eBay you will find a correct '36 control head with a switch. I have two spare heads, one of which goes with the '35 radio I have.
You stated that your car has a antenna mounted to the hood, did you mean the cowl? This application is very common on '30 vehicles.. I believe the running board antenna's are available from aftermarket vendors.
It is quiet common to find radio speaker boxes mounted to the firewall on '30 model cars, generally in the center adjacent to the gear shift.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

40 Coupe    -- 05-07-2021 @ 8:28 AM
  The 35 control head does not have the ON/OFF switch, it is mounted inside the radio box. The 36 radio head does have the switch. It is also possible the switch is bad and has been jumpered out so the radio can function. The radio heads appear nearly identical especially after so many years. You can look at the 36 Service Bulletins they may have the radio schematic for the 36 closed car radio or Ryder published schematics and detailed repair info. Fords glove box instructions may also have schematics they may be available as a reprint.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14805