Topic: Wiring harness

silverchief    -- 06-29-2010 @ 9:45 AM
  My 46 coupe is badly in need of a new wiring harness.
I would like to try doing it myself with the assistance of a buddy. Would like to hear suggestions and hints from some guys who have done it. Is it a tremendous hassle, better to have profesionaly done?
Are the instructions adequate to do the job?
I understand Rhode Island Wiring has a very good product.

Thank you.

37 Coupe    -- 06-29-2010 @ 10:06 AM
  You will not believe how easy it is to do,hardest part is under dash and that depends on your age,your physique and if the seat can be moved far enough back or better out. It is so basic and is in sections like dash to engine,lighting,etc. I have used Rhode Island wiring and Tyree Harris both good with good schematics,but I think Rhode Island is the best with crimped and soldered terminals,both are excellent fit Rhode Island is more expensive. It is one of those jobs that seems monumental at first because you are not an electrician but once you get into it you will not believe how easy it was.Good luck.

42wagon    -- 06-29-2010 @ 11:12 AM
  As 37 coupe says "you won't believe how easy it is to do". Unless you know a close by old car professional you probably have as much knowledge as any professional in the car repair business. Most of them weren't even born when these cars were built and your car will probably be a learning experience for them as well. Doing it yourself will give you the experience to know where to look if a bulb burns out or some other electrical problem shows up.

That said there are a couple of things to keep in mind.
You will probably need to remove the floor mat and the floor board for access to the dimmer switch and the wiring on the master cylinder. You will need to get under the left side of the car to run the wiring back to the rear lights. There is a small trap door in the trunk floor for access to the fuel sender wiring connection. And of course there is the work behind the dash. Not difficult but you do need to lie on your back to get at it. Much easier than in any modern car though. All the wiring should be color coded and all you need to do is follow a wiring diagram to make the connections.

You will get a sense of accomplishment and familiarity with your vehicle that you would never get by handing someone cash to do it for you.
Ted

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-29-2010 @ 3:08 PM
  Rhode Island wiring is more moeny but remember IF you have a problems you CAN TALK to someone that KNOWS something, unlike other venders, and only take part numbers and NO NOTHING what is going on and could CARELESS,
And Rhode Island has very good instructions,that actually work, just study them a little and take your time,
the satisfaction you will get and the experience you receive will benefit you and others that you could help later on,
HOPE THIS HELPS, 37RAGTOPMAN Keep on TRUCKIN,,,,!!!!

silverchief    -- 06-29-2010 @ 3:53 PM
  Thanks guys for the good input. I have a well lighted clean place to work, and when the weather gets a little cooler I do believe I will give it a shot.

Bill4d1merc    -- 06-29-2010 @ 3:55 PM

I did my 1941 Mercury and it was very straight forward and a lot easier than I thought it would be. One thing to think about is if you want Rhode Island wiring to add the wires for turn signals.

Bill

TomO    -- 06-29-2010 @ 6:09 PM
  When you do your wiring, don't forget the dome light. It runs through the headliner and a short here could cause a flash fire in the headliner.

You can use the old wire to pull through a string to pull the new wire in.

If your still flexible, you can do it with the front seat pushed all of the way back. I remove the front seat, because I don't bend any more.

Another quality supplier of wiring harnesses is Narraganset Reproductions.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1479