Topic: Engine runs rough on start from winter storage

blarge    -- 05-01-2021 @ 5:06 PM
  My 48 Mercury ran poorly on starting from winter storage. It would idle, but had no power and would shake when trying to rev-up. I changed the coil, condenser, and plugs with no improvement. I checked the compression and found one cylinder had zero pressure. There is no water missing from the radiator, and it holds pressure which I think indicates the head gasket is OK.
I squirted some penetrating oil in the dead cylinder and the compression came back to 70 psi. It was very cold here (34) in Detroit when I tried to get the car running this morning. The engine finally started and ran rough, but improved as it warmed up and is now running good. The car has a 16,000 mile history of running good.
I suspect that a valve was sticking partially open until the engine got warm.
Can anyone recommend a additive for the gasoline and for the engine oil that will free up the valves? Any other ideas as to what is wrong? Thanks, Bill Large

pauls39coupe    -- 05-01-2021 @ 9:17 PM
  Bill, You can try "fogging oil" when you shut down the engine for storage. You spray this oil down the carb while cranking the engine with the ignition off. It should coat everything, valves, valve guides, pistons and rings. It is available at many auto parts stores or small engine shops.
Be prepared for a smoky start come spring time. results may vary.
Paul

trjford8    -- 05-02-2021 @ 8:13 AM
  Run some Marvel Mystery Oil in with your gas.

TomO    -- 05-02-2021 @ 9:14 AM
  Bill, it sounds like you have the correct diagnosis. If the valves are still making noise or the engine is still running rough, I would dribble some Marvel Mystery Oil down the carburetor for a few minutes until you see a cloud of smoke out of the exhaust, then pour some in fast enough to kill the engine. Let it set overnight. Start it up and take it for a break in drive, varying speeds up to 50MPH for about 30 minutes. Your engine should be running good again.

The fogging oil is good to keep rust from forming in the engine.

I like to add Seafoam to the gas a couple of times in the summer and use it before storage. It keep the varnish from forming on the valve stems and is also a fuel stabilizer.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 05-03-2021 @ 5:22 AM
  Add a cup of Marvel Mystery OIL to your full tank of gas.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14789