Topic: Liquid comes out the tail pipe when engines starts

GaryWA    -- 04-30-2021 @ 8:12 PM
  I have a 1936 Model 68 Deluxe Touring that is all stock. It cranks and runs very good. It does not smoke when driven down the road.
When it sits for a few days and is started up, it blows what looks like a mixture of gas and oil out the tail pipe. It does it only for a few seconds
but causes a mess in the floor. What causes this and what is the fix?
It also leaks engine oil when it sits for a while, any advise on how to stop this would be greatly appreciated.

ford38v8    -- 04-30-2021 @ 8:57 PM
  Both conditions are normal. The first is caused by condensation in the exhaust, and indicates a prior shutdown before the engine has been fully warmed up, something you should avoid. Don't just start it up and idle it, nothing good comes from that practice, so drive it a few miles. The oil leak depends on how much and from where. An old saying goes: "If yer Ford don't leak no oil, it ain't got none."

Alan

JayChicago    -- 05-01-2021 @ 6:57 AM
  A black mess on the floor? Might be a mixture of condensation and excess fuel. I will let others more knowledgeable than me talk about what could be causing a too-rich condition on startup.

JayChicago    -- 05-01-2021 @ 7:14 AM
  And not just Fords leak oil. All cars of that era leaked. The materials available for seals around rotating shafts was not sophisticated. (They had cotton, paper, natural rubber. No space-age polymers yet)

But you said leaks when it sits for a while. Mine drips a couple quarter size oil spots after each drive. But then no more drips while in storage.

srg    -- 05-01-2021 @ 10:59 AM
  Historical footnote: I owned a bungalow in Long Beach, Ca. built in 1920. My driveway was a couple of concrete strips with dirt in between them. It took me a while to figure it out, but one day the light bulb came on.

51woodie    -- 05-01-2021 @ 11:35 AM
  When I bought my 46 Coupe, the muffler was rotted out from the acidic condensation that collects in the lowest point, which is the muffler. When I installed the new one, I drilled a 1/8” hole in the lowest point at each end of the muffler for drainage. I do get some drips on the garage floor, so I just slide a sheet of cardboard under that area to catch any drip.

GaryWA    -- 05-03-2021 @ 12:41 PM
  Thanks Alan

dean333    -- 05-11-2021 @ 8:02 AM
  Figure what out SRG?

TIM CARLIG

JayChicago    -- 05-11-2021 @ 12:44 PM
  Tim
Srg meant figure out why his house had a two-strip driveway instead of solid concrete. Answer, so oil drips from cars of the day would fall in the center grass strip and not stain the driveway.

All the houses in my subdivision, built in late forties, had that two-strip driveway design. My house still has it at the front of the lot. But if we could ask builders of the day why that was done, I’m not sure they would say to hide oil drips. Maybe it was considered architecturally more pleasing. Or maybe it was just an economy measure; concrete was expensive and labor to do more form work was cheap.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 5-11-21 @ 12:51 PM

supereal    -- 05-13-2021 @ 2:07 PM
  Years ago, mufflers came from the manufacturers with a small hole drilled on the bottom side at each end to allow drainage of condensation. A 1/8" bit is sufficient.

kubes40    -- 05-13-2021 @ 2:59 PM
  Driveway... economy.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14785