Topic: Trans issue?

Shoovel    -- 04-28-2021 @ 5:01 AM
  Folks,
I just purchased a 39 Ford Standard Coupe. While driving the car it grinds going from 1st to 2nd all the time. It grinds less the slower speed I shift. From 2nd to 3rd is no issue. Going from 3rd to 1st at a complete stop is no issue. I know it is supposed to be synchro from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. I have changed the trans oil.
Any thoughts.
Thanks
Tom

carcrazy    -- 04-28-2021 @ 9:46 AM
  Have you adjusted your clutch pedal free-play? Your clutch may not be releasing all the way when you shift gears. What oil are you using in the transmission? If you are using a low viscosity synthetic, there may not be enough drag on the synchronizers to facilitate smooth, quiet shifts from 1st to 2nd. Do you push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor when you shift gears?

supereal    -- 04-28-2021 @ 12:12 PM
  check your engine idle speed. It should be low, just enough for an even slow idle. Heavy weight transmission oil helps, as well. It does take some time to learn to get a smooth shift in these early transmissions.

alanwoodieman    -- 04-28-2021 @ 6:27 PM
  floor shifted trans have a pin located at the shift lever trans tower under the ring that holds the shifter in, make sure this pin is not worn out--make a replacement if it is with a 1/4" drill bit shank cut to fit. also NO speed shifting just slow down and shift. heavier oils seems to slow down the gears better and this helps with the shifting and do NOT use a GL 5 trans lube

therunwaybehind    -- 04-29-2021 @ 8:24 AM
  A very interesting example of the transition from mechanical to hydraulic brakes. So which is this one? One would expect the Deluxe to have the first hydraulics on a Ford. Does the Standard shrink from this? The sheet metal is interesting. Anything else that distinguishes it from a 1938 Deluxe or Standard?

Shoovel    -- 04-30-2021 @ 2:49 PM
  I’m really not sure how original it is. It does have juice brakes.

TomO    -- 05-01-2021 @ 8:46 AM
  Hydraulic brakes were standard on all 1939 Ford cars.

The 1938 Ford had a body more similar to the 1937 body and different grill than the Deluxe.

The 1939 Ford had the same body as the 1938 Deluxe and a similar grill. The main visual difference is that the 1939 Ford had stainless trim on the grill bars. The 1939 Deluxe used the same body, but the grill and hood are completely different.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14777