Topic: What type engine oil

patrick32    -- 04-27-2021 @ 10:12 AM
  I have purchased flathead v8 rebuilt 20 years ago but very few miles. There is no oil cleaner. What type of oil would you recommend?

MG    -- 04-27-2021 @ 11:00 AM
  Go with 10W-30 detergent....A safe bet to start with....

This message was edited by MG on 4-27-21 @ 11:01 AM

patrick32    -- 04-27-2021 @ 11:24 AM
  Thank you. I have been told by shop not use a detergent with no filter but don't understand why. My engine runs at approx 180 degrees when hot.

ford38v8    -- 04-27-2021 @ 12:12 PM
  Your shop is making the point that detergent oil will not settle out impurities overnight. They remain suspended in the oil, recirculated to be removed by an oil filter or by the periodic changing of the oil. The use of non detergent oil will result in the formation of sludge on all horizontal surfaces within the engine, not in itself bad for an engine with low mileage. The problem with sludge is that it contributes to overheating, and may inhibit the function of the oil pump over a long period of time. The invention of detergent oil came in conjunction with the widespread use of oil filters, and the use of both detergent and filter together is the best way to go, as one without the other is not near as useful. My suggestion is to use the modern detergent oil, which contains useful additives beyond the detergent itself, and to change your oil seasonally or at no more that 2000 miles.

Alan

patrick32    -- 04-27-2021 @ 1:22 PM
  Thank you Alan for the clear explanation that makes perfect sense. I live in San Francisco temp usually 45 to 70 degrees which heats the car to 180 degrees. Is 30w or 10-30w appropriate?

ford38v8    -- 04-27-2021 @ 1:34 PM
  Either will work, 10/30 is better in my opinion. The difference, as I understand, is not that the viscosity changes form 10 to 30, but that it flows similarly at both cold and hot temperatures. If oil pressure is perceived to be too low or too high, an upward or downward adjustment can be useful.

Alan

carcrazy    -- 04-27-2021 @ 2:49 PM
  My recommendation is to go with a quality name brand straight SAE 30 Detergent motor oil and add 8 ounces of Red Line Engine Oil break-in additive at each oil change. Use of this additive is to provide the required levels of zinc and phosphorous to minimize cam and lifter wear. Straight SAE 30 is preferred over a multigrade as it won't thin out as much when hot and will reduce the tendency of the oil to slip past the rings and seals in the engine cutting down on oil consumption and leaks. Modern engine oils since API Service SL do not provide the required elements. These anti-wear elements are not required in modern engines with roller tappets or roller finger followers in the valvetrain. The older engines which have flat tappets require these missing elements. The main reason these elements are missing from modern oils is to prevent poisoning the catalytic converters used in modern vehicles. As previously mentioned change the oil and additive mix at least every 2000 miles.

patrick32    -- 04-28-2021 @ 9:00 AM
  Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. I'm ready for my oil change.

supereal    -- 04-28-2021 @ 12:19 PM
  Use 20W-50 in the summer. Another choice we recommend at our shop is Sh*ll Rotella oil. It works well in older engines as it has zinc content that lowers camshaft wear. It is a heavy duty oil used a diesel engines.

Model B    -- 04-28-2021 @ 1:18 PM
  Patrick32,

I have used Castrol 20w-50w for many years in my '32 (V8)...has served me well! I only drive it in summer (except for this past winter when I took it to Florida with me). I don't have an oil filter either. Most all of today's oils are much better than in the day...just change the oil each year and you should be good to go!

I like your "handle" by the way!

Patrick (modelb)

This message was edited by Model B on 4-28-21 @ 1:19 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 04-30-2021 @ 6:21 AM
  Ford says all flat heads need ZINK in the oil to cushion the tappets on the cam!! Yeah, guys will say they don't use it- but when they get enough miles with out the zink in the oil they will need a new cam!! "You can take that to the bank!!" Don't believe it? Call any flat head rebuilder "worth his salt", and ask him!! One you could ask is H+H in California! All of the oil in the 50's had ZINK in it!! ( the EPA had it taken out in our era.)

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 04-30-2021 @ 1:02 PM
  Steve, as far as I know, Ford has not issued any statement on oil type or specifications for the flathead engines since 1954. Do you have later information that you could share with us?

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 04-30-2021 @ 6:54 PM
  Valvoline Racing Oil has the required zink in it!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14776