Topic: holly 21-29

46fordnut    -- 06-28-2010 @ 5:24 PM
  about 6 MONTHS AGO HAVE REBUILT MY CARB. IS IT NORMAL TO EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE TO HAVE TO DO SOME SMALL ADJUSTMENTS TO IT SUCH AS IDLE AND FUEL AND AIR MIXTURE SCREWS? THE ENGINE RUNS VERY WELL AT IDLE OR ON THE ROAD. THE ENGINE AS FAR AS I KNOW HAS NEVER BEEN REBUILT. I AM THE 3RD OWNER OF THIS CAR ( 1946 FORD SUPER DELUXE 239 V8 FLATHEAD). I WAS ALSO TOLD TO USE MARVEL OIL IN PLACE OF LEAD SUBSTITUTE THE ENGINE SEEMS TO RUN MUCH MORE QUIET THEN WITH THE LEAD SUBSTITUTE. ANY ISSUES ?

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 6-28-10 @ 6:49 PM

supereal    -- 06-29-2010 @ 11:10 AM
  Lead substitute isn't required. It was suspected that no-lead gas would cause valve problems. So far, none have shown up. We routinely replace valve seats in good blocks, but that is necessary because they have often been ground enough to prevent a decent seat width and angle. Adding MMO once in a while is OK, but a steady diet will tend to foul your spark plugs. As long as your oil is fresh and clean, these old engines really don't need additives. Tweaking your idle needles once in a while isn't rare, but if it occurs often, I'd install an inline fuel filter between the tank and the firewall, as you are probably getting rust flakes or other crud from the tank that affects the carb. The main jets can pass a lot of that, but the idle passages are smaller.

46fordnut    -- 06-29-2010 @ 6:40 PM
  gas tank was cleaned and sealed in 2006.

supereal    -- 06-30-2010 @ 9:19 AM
  The next place to look is the throttle shaft. It must be closely fitted. Any wear will allow an air leak around the shaft, which will affect the idle. These can be bushed for repair. Also, inspect the fit of the throttle plates (butterflies), to see that they fit the carb throat all the way around. We have see many of this filed down, for some unknown reason. As for a sealed tank, we have seen some of that compound break down, particularly with the alcohol fuels, and cause carb problems. We replace, not repair, old tanks for that reason. An inline filter will usually catch it.

This message was edited by supereal on 6-30-10 @ 9:43 AM

46fordnut    -- 06-30-2010 @ 4:31 PM
  i do have the sediment bowl in the fuel pump. it runs fine, just not to my standard. i like it to run smooth .
since using marvel mistery oil the vavle train seem much more quite . could this be why i needed to change may carb settings?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1477