Topic: Originality?

46coupe    -- 04-25-2021 @ 3:04 AM
  My 46 sedan coupe was built late Dec of 1945 as far as I can research. It has its original interior, matching numbers on engine and trans as well as the original rear end and other components. It also has several parts and features from 1942-45. The paint is mostly original. My question is this. I would like to refurbish the engine and engine compartment. The engine needs paint as well as the horns and other items in the bay.
Some people have told me to not touch anything, just drive and maintain the car. Others have said that I should restore it as far as I can. New paint, interior, etc. Does repainting the engine or horns and other items “kill” the originality? I’d like to know your thoughts, please before proceeding.
Thanks for any advice given.

40 Coupe    -- 04-25-2021 @ 4:03 AM
  Difficult question. IMO if you restore some items the car would start to appear a bit odd. I think you would loose possible buyers in the future and you can not return anything restored back to their appearance now. You must have bought the car the way it is, ask yourself if what attracted you to the car was the restoration possibility or just loved it the way it was.

mfirth    -- 04-25-2021 @ 4:46 AM
  46 Coupe, i agree with 40 coupe.....you have to decide what you want. Are you concerned about resale value or do you want a certain look ...???
Now i will totally mess with you, "they are only original once". Do you want it to be "original" or look original ? Wish you well either way.
My .02 cents, or nonsense just enjoy the car !

FordFreak    -- 04-25-2021 @ 6:42 AM
  I would leave it alone, as I love cars like yours!

1937 Ford Coupe
1952 Ford F1 Pickup
1965 Falcon Sprint

ford38v8    -- 04-25-2021 @ 11:50 AM
  Clean is best. No paint touchup, just clean. When cleaning, be careful to protect the wiring, as cleaning agents can be destructive to the insulation. Also, protect any remaining decals, even if only bits and scr*ps are left today. In this way, the historic value is preserved to be fully appreciated.

Alan

46coupe    -- 04-26-2021 @ 10:57 AM
  Thanks everyone for your input. Guess I'll just keep on keeping it clean. I might be selling it in the near future. I haven't totally decided yet.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14769