Topic: Turn Signal Installation Problem on 1935 Fordor

pfrancis    -- 04-23-2021 @ 8:40 PM
  I am trying to install a "Truck-Lite" turn signal system on my 6 volt, twin tail/stop light, two filament bulb, stock 1935 Ford. The column mounted switch has 7 wires--2 to the flasher, (the flasher has 3 prongs the 3rd going to the 6 v. power supply), one to each of the 4 turn signal lights and one to the stop light switch (cold side). I have no problem with the 2 after market lights in the front. For the rear turn signal lights the wiring diagram shows a separate wire from the"Truck-Lite" turn signal switch to each of the brake light elements in the light bulbs. The 2 brake lights as shown on the Ford wiring diagram work off a common wire from the brake light switch. This common wire branches off at a "Y" with one wire going to each brake light. When I splice the "Truck-Lite" rear turn signal light wires into the original Ford left or right stop light wires as the "Truck-Lite" diagram seems to show, then both brake lights blink as they are wired to a common wire. I have wired one "Truck-Light" wire to the cold side of the brake light switch as their diagram shows, but I see no purpose in this wire. "Truck-Lite" technical support did not give me any useful information that I could understand, other than to say that I did not need the wire to the brake light switch for my application. Any ideas as to what am I doing that is wrong?
Thank you,
TR3MT

1931 Flamingo    -- 04-24-2021 @ 5:45 AM
  I may have this problem in the future myself. Will be watching.
Paul in CT

51woodie    -- 04-24-2021 @ 6:50 AM
  I'm not familiar with the "35 wiring layout, or the Truck-lite unit, but this is how my '46 coupe is wired, and all works well. I hope this diagram helps.

pfrancis    -- 04-24-2021 @ 10:33 AM
  Hello 51 Woodie--Thanks for your wiring diagram, it is much better than my "Truck-Lite diagam, but it appears to be exactly the same. I am wondering how you prevent both lights from blinking when you only want one to blink at a time. When I splice into either brake light it activates both due to the common wire to both brake lights. Thanks for your interest.
pfrancis (TR3MT user name was a mistake).

alanwoodieman    -- 04-24-2021 @ 1:01 PM
  originally your car had only one wire going to the brake lights in rear, if it had two brake lights on rear then you must disconnect the cross over wire and add a second wire going to the rear for the right light

51woodie    -- 04-25-2021 @ 5:13 AM
  If wired like the schematic, wire #5 from the brake light switch activates the brake lights, when the brakes are applied, because the switch sends power to the lights through wires #1 & 3. So you need to have the #1 & 3 wires run from the switch to the respective tail lights. Disconnect the crossover wire and problem should be solved.

pfrancis    -- 04-26-2021 @ 11:49 AM
  Thanks for both of your replies. Some things cleared up for me and the light (in my head) suddenly turned on. My problem was simplified. Next, I plan to wire in a "Brakelighter" in the back window of my 35 fordor.
pfrancis from Montana

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14768