Topic: Emergency Brake

silverchief    -- 04-22-2021 @ 2:49 PM
  Looking to replace the rear emergency cable on my 46 coupe. Both Mac and C&G say "Requires shortening the spring."

Before I order, will somebody please tell me.....exactly what does that entail, a real headache or a five minute fix?

The reason I'm replacing the one on there is..... it was too long when installed. It has a little shortening device
on both cables and I think they have reached maximum usage.

Appreciate all input.

kubes40    -- 04-22-2021 @ 3:13 PM
  The spring that goes against the brake lever is too long on the repop cables. Takes just a few minutes to shorten it.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 04-22-2021 @ 3:16 PM
  The two springs that are inside the brake drum are too long. If you have a Dremmel tool with a cut off wheel it's a 10 minute job to shorten and then cut the excess amount off the cable. Maybe someone has the proper length needed.

sarahcecelia    -- 04-22-2021 @ 7:58 PM
  KUBES-
The cable on my 1940 Deluxe Convertible is too long. I had to clamp it together at the "Fork in them near the tail of the transmission, where they go to the left and right rear brakes; so it in my thinking is a re-pop cable. Could you send a thread with a diagram of the springs that need to be cut, and how much to cut?? I'd really appreciate it, and many others probably would too; and will this help with that cable that is too long??

Regards, Steve Lee

51woodie    -- 04-22-2021 @ 8:08 PM
  silverchief. I had that problem with my '46 Coupe as well. The spring that goes over the handbrake cable, between the cable tube and the brake actuating lever is too long. The spring becomes coil bound before the lever travels far enough to fully apply the brakes. I can't remember how much I cut off, but I think it was about a 1/2".

1931 Flamingo    -- 04-23-2021 @ 5:06 AM
  You could try a couple more of the "shortening" devices.....................................
Paul in CT

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14764