Topic: 1946 Fordor Super Deluxe Radiator Mounting

jmm102010    -- 04-02-2021 @ 5:43 AM
  Hello everyone,
My wife and I are new to the forum because we just purchased an all original 46 Fordor w/ a FH V8. The person we purchased the car from started to remove the radiator because it needed a lower hose. We have the mounting hardware for the radiator but do not know how it mounts to the frame, direction of the spring ect. Would someone be able to guide us in the right direction as to how the radiator mounts to the car? Thank you in advance for your help. P.s. If you have pictures that would help as well.

51woodie    -- 04-02-2021 @ 8:37 AM
  The rad has an "ear" on both sides at the bottom of the rad frame, and a keyhole slot on each side, about a 1/4 way down from the top of the frame. On my 46 Coupe, there is a thin rubber pad that goes on the frame and the ears sit on them. One picture shows the arrangement for the bolt/spring/nut assembly for the bottom mount, and the other shows the top mount bolts. The top bolts are like a carriage head bolt. The head of the bolt fits through the keyhole slot in the rad support frame, and into the keyhole slot in the rad frame, then slide the bolt down, to lock it into the read frame. The bottom bolt comes up from the bottom, a flat washer, the spring, a flat washer and the nut. I used "Stover" locking nuts, so they couldn't back off. Don't over compress the springs when tightening the nut, there needs to be spacing between the coils.
The bolts/ nuts I used would lose you points if the car was being judged, but they hold the rad in.

This message was edited by 51woodie on 4-2-21 @ 8:42 AM

jmm102010    -- 04-02-2021 @ 12:48 PM
  Thank you so much!!! This was extremely helpful

51woodie    -- 04-03-2021 @ 5:27 AM
  jmm. You are welcome, and welcome to the world of flatheads. If you are not a member of the EFV8 Club, it is certainly worth joining. The magazine that is published is worth the membership fee on its own. I knew very little about old Fords and flatheads when I bought my '46 Super Deluxe Coupe, so I bought an EFV8 membership and joined this forum. The wealth and depth of knowledge that is available from these two sources is invaluable. Don't be shy to ask what seems to be the most simple question, as I did initially, because you will always get help. If you don't mind, post a picture of your car so we can appreciate what you are working on.

woodiewagon46    -- 04-03-2021 @ 7:18 AM
  Something minor to note. The bolt that is pictured should be a bolt with a castle nut and a cotter pin. The combination of vibration and the spring pushing against the nut can cause it to become loose.

trjford8    -- 04-03-2021 @ 8:03 AM
  Since you are new to the forum I would like to say welcome. Something you may want to do is to purchase the V-8 Club's 41-48 Ford book. You can purchase it on the front page of this website and it will give you a lot of information on your "new" Ford.

kubes40    -- 04-03-2021 @ 10:01 AM
  Not a castile nut but rather, a slotted head hex nut. They are not the same.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14727