Topic: Oil pump priming

oatycorb    -- 03-31-2021 @ 2:34 PM
  I recently had to order new gaskets for my Melling oil pump due to a leakage issue. Before reassembling it I thought perhaps I'd pack the gear cavity with petroleum jelly to ensure the pump is well primed upon starting for the first time, especially since the engine may be sitting dormant for some time while I deal with other systems under the hood. I used to prime big block Buick oil pumps the same way decades ago. Since my 59ab engine is the oldest motor I've worked on I was wondering if there was any reason why this might not be advisable. I also thought about packing it with engine assembly grease (Joe Gibbs Driven engine assembly grease, used by H and H Flatheads), but I really don't know if that's a bad idea or not. I have a small fortune invested in this new engine and just want to make sure it gets oil pressure right away upon startup. Any opinions or advise is immensely appreciated, thanks!

carcrazy    -- 03-31-2021 @ 3:54 PM
  Packing the oil pump with a good lubricant is a very good idea. You want the engine to have lube before it fires up for the first time and experiences any load. You can crank the engine over without the spark plugs until the engine has oil pressure.

kubes40    -- 03-31-2021 @ 4:04 PM
  When I had my service shop decades ago, I always had a tub of petroleum jelly for this exact purpose. There was about a three year span when I'd have a Buick 231 V6 to rebuild each and every week. I always packed the pump. Always!

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

51504bat    -- 04-01-2021 @ 7:07 AM
  Years ago when I rebuilt a 289 the machinist who did the work lent me a pre-oiler that he made from an old brake bleeder pressure pot. Dumped 5 quarts of oil in the pot, hooked it up to the sender unit fitting with a shut off valve. Pressurized the pot, opened the valve and instant oil pressure for the initial start up. I recently made one from an old paint pressure pot that I bought at a yard sale. I've seen others made from hand pump garden sprayers.

oatycorb    -- 04-03-2021 @ 8:06 AM
  Thanks everybody for your help, have a happy Easter!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14721