Topic: Open drive shaft

4XFords    -- 03-20-2021 @ 6:01 AM
  I am thinking about converting my 40 Coupe to open drive shaft, will a 42 and later open transmission work in this application. I know there is a difference in the width of the rear mount. I would like to hear from any one who has experience with these conversions. The banjo rear currently has a 60 HP 4.44 rear and I would like a more highway friendly rear and better handling. The 60 HP engine is long gone. Thanks

trjford8    -- 03-20-2021 @ 8:16 AM
  Why not just changer the gears in the rear end to 3.78 or 3.54? A lot simpler than making the conversion to open drive. The early open drive transmission was only in the '42 and later pickups and they were all floor shift. Trying to convert to open drive will still make it necessary to change the rear end gears.

whizzerbug    -- 03-21-2021 @ 6:35 AM
  you could use a chevy nova rearend 1967-72 i think chassis engineering sells a bolt in kit , i have done a few and they worked great,you could use a trans from a 1951-2 ford pickup if you want to keep the columm shift, u will still have to deal with rear trans mount spacing and get a driveshaft and yoke

ford38v8    -- 03-22-2021 @ 12:05 AM
  3.78 banjos are available, a straight across swap with no surprises. What you are thinking of is just not worthwhile for the money and time involved to do the conversion properly.

Alan

juergen    -- 03-22-2021 @ 8:22 AM
  To partially answer your question, yes the support holes for the 37-41 rear bearing retainer (rear trans mount) are about 10 inches apart for the 40 Ford and about 8 inches apart for the post 41 Fords (including open drive commercial pickups). Also the 37-41 holes are 1 3/4 behind the trans case while the open drive retainer holes are 2 1/2 inches from the trans case. The cases are the same size whether open or close drive shaft but the mounting would need some modifications (along with the rear end itself).

Back in the old days I put a 50 Ford rear end in my 40. Today I would question the move but back then I went through a lot of rear ends and they were much easier to replace with the 50 rear end.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14691